Purring

JX4

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:59 pm

We just lost our Snuggles yesterday, which I reported in her medical thread in the medical forum. But I've been thinking about purring since then. We had seven piggies at one time, and three of them were real purr-ers. Now we've lost all three of them, and the four we have left just don't purr much at all, even when they seem perfectly happy and are being petted.

The three (of which Snuggles was the last) would readily and loudly purr -- a lot. The other four we have left now will lick us, one will cuddle into my neck like Snuggles did, but none of them purr. Maybe every once in a while we'll get a really short burst of a purr when we are petting them, but it's over before you can enjoy it and it doesn't recur.

I guess I'm just going to have get used to not hearing any purrs anymore, but as I pet my remaining pigs, I can't help but really miss the purring of the others.

I don't suppose there is any way to encourage purring? (Talking out of my grief here, so this is probably not an intelligent question.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:11 pm

I don't think I ever had any purrers. So you are a very fortunate guinea pig caretaker.

What I used to love is the pockety-pockety noise some of them made when walking around.

JX4

Post   » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Really? Wow. I had a guinea pig as a kid that also purred readily, easily and loudly. She purred a lot too.

So half of the guinea pigs I've had purred a lot. I didn't realize it was rare. Instead I thought the non-purrers were the abnormal ones.

Sigh. I miss the purrs. They are so joy-giving to me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:42 am

There are also "burrers". Growley, leave me alone type noises. Given their behavior, I am sure you had the good ones. I believe some of mine did "burr".

samim21

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:12 am

I am really sorry for your loss...losing a piggie is so difficult :( I think you are fortunate to have four happy piggies that like to snuggle up to you and give you kisses, though! I think that really shows that you take good care of them!!!

My youngest guinea pig purrs sometimes, but I think she mostly purrs our of confusion (so I guess "burring" like Lynx said). I always took my piggies turning into pancakes (like flattening out and relaxing) as happy signs when I hold them :)

JX4

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm

One of my pigs does a burr sound when she's scared (like a sudden, loud noise from across the room for example), but it's never been a "leave me alone" sound.

Several of my pigs do the flattening out thing on my lap, so I know what you mean! That's how I know Mouse is happy. She doesn't purr. At all. Like ever. But she will make noises and will flatten out on my lap or chest when I watch TV. She doesn't like to be held for an hour like Snuggles did, but very few piggies would like that.

Mouse is very quiet, but that's not why we named her Mouse. When she was born she looked exactly like a little mouse, which is why we named her that (she is dark brown all over, smooth hair).

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:38 pm

I dont think I have heard any of our 3 purr.
We get wheeking, squeaking, chirping and teeth chattering plus the smallest one rumble struts a bit too.
They are still getting used to us so maybe purring will come in time

samim21

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:17 am

Wow an hour! That's impressive. My pigs only tolerate cuddles for about 10 minutes LOL...Any cuddle time is good cuddle time tho!

JX4

Post   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Yeah, I had four of our seven pigs that would be quite content to be held for an hour-length TV show. The other three are done a whole lot sooner! Now we only have one left who is content to be held for such a long period of time. Twilight is at the bottom of the pecking order in our herd, so I think he just likes having the one-on-one attention from the all-important humans, so is content to be held so long. But even he doesn't usually last the whole of an hour-length TV show. He will last past a half-hour one, though. He's the closest I have left now to a cuddler. The other 3 don't cuddle, even though they will be held and petted. But not cuddle up in my neck. Sigh. I miss my Snuggles.