Ammonia Build up?

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Not really a medical issue as such (at least i hope not) but experienced and issue over the weekend that I was hoping to get advice on

I noticed that our smallest girl, Siouxsie/Suzi had started sneezing more than usual during Saturday and Sunday. I had changed the Fleece liners (Guineadads) during Saturday so didn't think it could be bedding issue but when I was hand feeding her on Sunday evening I noticed that her breathing was noisy and that she coughed a couple of times and it cleared up but then the noise would come back.

I picked her up and had her sat on my lap and the noise would go away again. However once she was back in the pen and under the fleece pocket at the end of the liner it would start again. When I put my head down next to her to have a good listen I got a strong smell of ammonia. I dont know why it was already so strong as I had put fresh ones in the day before, although it may be that I didn't change the other liner that the main one over laps and that seemed to have a pretty strong ammonia smell as well. Either that or where they pee off of the liners it got underneath and that caused the issue but I have never had them get that strong of ammonia so quickly.

Anyway after changing the all the liners again (we have two sets) her breathing appeared to get better. She slept in the pocket last night but with the edge propped up so there was a decent gap and this morning I couldn't hear any noisy breathing sounds and she seemed her normal perky self out eating.

I am just concerned in case there may have been any permanent damage done or it may have left her susceptible to a URI. Should she be Ok now the ammonia source has been dealt with or is it possible that it may cause future issues?

The other two seem fine but they usually sleep down under the fleece at the other end of the cage.

Any tips for monitoring and reducing the chances for Ammonia build up? I am wondering if I shoudl remove the pockets or fold them back on themselves and just have regular hideys?
I have a new C&C cage on order and got some Fleece forests for it. We have 3 other hideys (one plastic, one Cardboard and one woven grass) which are the best ones to use?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:04 pm

I would think that if you corrected it and she has good air to breath and is otherwise healthy that she will be okay. Now that you know this could be an issue, I'd keep an eye (or nose) out so you can swap things if it gets strong ammonia smells again.

Plastic is not absorbent and should work best. Watch for the pee soaking through to other layers. I think open sided plastic stools make great hideys.
www.guinealynx.info/my-pigs.html

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 pm

OK Thanks

I was curious as I had been advised to make sure there were holes in the top of any plastic hideys we had so they didn't trap it.

Still puzzled as to why the fleece got so stinky so quickly but suspect it may have been from the other one I didn't change. Wont make that mistake again.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Also cut a second door in any plastic hidey. That will help with circulation, and also prevent one pig from trapping another. The trappee may well slash the the trapper's face in an effort to get out.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Ok the Cardboard hidey has two holes and Windows (It is the box one of the Guinedads came i which converts to a hidey) but the plastic one has steps up the back so that may be tricky and the other is a grass cones so again cutting another hole in that without it falling apart may be tricky.

Suzi's breathing was still a bit off last night. There is a noise but then she coughs and it clears up for a while. It seems to be mostly in the evening and in the morning when she is sleeping or just woken up

I made some recordings and sent them to the vet to see what she says. Suzi seems active and eating otherwise.

Here are the recordings I sent to the vet.

You may need to turn the volume up and there is no video as it was dark You will also need to ignore the noise of the motorcycle that chose that minute to roar past in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxSlny_X1Ac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwTdpyj0RuY

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Then I'd throw out any hideys that don't have two doors.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:20 pm

OK thanks. Would probably have ended up doing that anyway when the new cage turns up. They only have enough room for one piggy at a time anyway and I got some fleece forests that should be much better in terms of ventilation.

vet called and said just to monitor Suzi's breathing for now and call them if it looks like it is getting worse.

The wife says that she seemed fine around 1:30pm today. Will check more closely when I get home.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Use plastic stools instead (see link I posted above).

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:04 am

Another option for hideys are the stackable bins at Dollar Tree. Flip them over and you have a hidey with two openings. Those are my Lacey’s favorites because they’re light enough that she can pull them around with her shoulders - her impersonation of a hermit crab. And she loves to line them up and run through them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 am

Sounds interesting! Do you have a photo of one of them in use? I could add it to this topic.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Siouxsie/Suzi seems to be making less noise when she is breathing now and is sneezing less but has lost a bit of weight each day since Sunday. Down to 619g Yesterday from 644g on Sunday. Going to keep an eye on her and have been making sure she gets plenty of Vitamin C. If her weight keeps dropping will get her to the vet.

Have changed the Guineadads a couple more times this week (Tuesday and Yesterday) due to the ammonia smell, usually we do it twice a week although they say to do it once a week. It seems they are either peeing on top of the fleece pocket or on the tarp next to it so it is seeping under them rather than getting soaked up. Have been cleaning up any pee puddles when I see them.

Hopefully the new cage, due to arrive Monday, will stop that happening as they will only be able to pee on the GDs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:36 pm

You might write the designer and see if they have a tip for washing that would help. I think of baking soda helping but don't know. Oh, hey, borax added to your wash should help and not hurt the product. I used cotton/cloth diapers for my two kids and vaguely remember putting the rinsed diapers in a pail of borax and water (hope I remember correctly!).