What is a normal amount of poo?

guineafriend123

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:31 pm

Apologies if this topic is gross.
I'm a new owner of 2 male Abyssinian guinea pigs who are both about a year old.
The photo shows the amount of poo they produce combined in a single 24 hour period in a 5 1/2 inch bag.
It seems like a lot!
Is this normal?
Thank you

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:34 pm

Looks perfectly normal to me. Guinea pigs are pooping machines! You have to worry, a LOT, when they don't poop.

JX4

Post   » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:46 pm

They constantly eat, so they constantly poop. The good thing is their poops are usually dry and not mushy wet, so they are easy to sweep or vacuum up.

IssaG

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:43 pm

My first thought was that was all in 24 hours! I sweep that much out twice or three times a day. They produce so much poop! But most of it is usually confined to a side or a corner so it's quick to clean up on fleece.

guineafriend123

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:19 pm

Thank you - how do you get them to confine to a corner. My pigs poo everywhere - and often get poo in their pellets and hay.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:31 pm

If you've got cooperative pigs, they'll usually poop the most where they sleep and eat, and you can put something there to catch the output. If you don't, you're just SOL, pun intended.

It may help to drape a piece of fleece across a corner to give them a little privacy. Or watch where they go the most, and put a litter pan or fleece pad there.

But if you do have pigs that mostly go in one spot, make sure you keep it very clean, because they usually also tend to want to sleep there, and laying in their own waste isn't good for them. It can cause UTI's and even URI's if the area is enclosed.