C&C Cage Sizing

wheekwheekgang

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:12 pm

Hey everyone!

Thanks in advance for any replies or feedback.

I am looking at making a C&C cage for my six girls. They are currently in 3 attached Midwest cages but as they are growing I believe they need more room. I just moved and they now have their own room, so I'm looking to expand.

If anyone could let me know the general size I should go for with a C&C cage, that would be great. My mom and I were thinking of doing a 6x7 (grids not feet), and then adding an upper loft area for their feeding area. The loft would be on the one end.

In about 8 weeks I will be adding my boy rescue piggy to the herd, as he will be getting neutered. So all together it will be for 7 pigs.

I am going to move again to a house I will be buying after my year lease is up, so I will expand more for them then. I would love to give them a massive area. But for now they all share a 10x11 foot room, which is much nicer than hanging in the living room like they did before this move.

If anyone also has any general C&C advice/tips or cool ideas, feel free to share!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:39 pm

The recommendation from Guinea Pig Cages is about eight square feet for the first two pigs, then 2.5 square feet added for each additional pig. So you're looking at about twenty square feet or more. Bigger is always better.

JX4

Post   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:32 am

We had 7 pigs, 6 girls and one neutered boy. The largest cage we could do was the absolute minimum required, which is 2 x 8 grids. It was still crowded, but because our herd is pretty tight it wasn't a problem except that it got dirty faster than my liking. Since we aren't very good at building stuff on our own, we worked with the guinea pigs cage store online for our cage. We explained over the phone what we needed and worked out what we ended up doing.

They don't make a coroplast base 8 grids long because the coroplast sheets aren't that long. So we bought two bases measuring 2 x 4 grid coroplast bases and put them together ourselves in the 2 x 8 grid setup. We overlapped them a bit (because one end of each of them was left down instead of made into a wall) underneath the fleece bedding.

Each pig has places to go to get away from the others when they wanted to be alone -- that is important with a herd. We also have two hay lofts, one on each end of the cage, where we put their hay. (All seven could be in the two lofts at the same time whenever fresh hay was added.)

We've had two of our pigs pass away during the last year and a half (heart issue and bloat, respectively), so we are down to 5 pigs in that same set-up now.

If we could have gone bigger, we would have. As bpatters says, bigger is always better.

Your herd should be great. Our pigs are almost 4 years old now and are still very close-knit with each other. We currently have 4 girls and the one neutered boy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:08 am

Assuming you have a nice solid floor, you can also use a piece of pond liner (rubber liner) to prevent moisture from getting through. Pond liner can be heavy! I have a scrap I have used for a variety of things.