Frightened Piggy

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 pm

My social piggy scared herself yesterday by pushing her hideaway over sideways. I think she was inside at the time it toppled over. She ran to the back corner of her cage and is still scared today. She won’t enter any hideaways, boxes, or pigloo which was her favorite. She used to be at the front of the cage wheeking and standing up at any sign of food. Now she creeps along with big eyes, grabs the food and retreats. I checked her over yesterday and I don’t see any injury. She is almost 2 years old and has lived here for little more than a year. Has anyone ever had an issue like this and how long will she be scared? I feel so bad for her, she was so friendly and always came running when I talked to her.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Pigs just get weirded out sometimes, and it can take a while for them to recover. You might try rearranging the cage and see if that helps.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully she’s had time today to settle down. I wasn’t sure if I should rearrange her cage or not. She likes to explore but I don’t want her to feel threatened by moving her furniture. I guess we’ll have a piggy therapy session tonight!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:06 pm

You could try draping a towel over a corner and take out a couple of the "hard" things.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 am

She’s doing better tonight. She wheeked for food a few times and finally started moving around the cage more. She is afraid to go into anything enclosed since she flipped her hideaway over. I rearranged her cage and just left her hay tunnel and cuddle cup so she can be out in the open. Then I gave her a pep talk about being brave. :) Thanks for all the suggestions - I appreciate it!

JX4

Post   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:50 pm

You could also try putting in a "fleece forest" rather than hideys since she is now afraid of anything enclosed.

Here's a link to a site that sells them with a picture of what they look like. You can also make your own. They give cover without the "enclosed" feeling of something solid.

https://www.guineapigmarket.com/fleece-forest

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:24 pm

I have a 2 cords across the back of her play pen high enough so she can’t reach them. I drape lightweight fabric or large sheets of plain tissue paper to make a tunnel. She can’t resist exploring, running through the tunnel, and dragging her hideys back there. She’s pretty much back to her old social self again. She’s wheeking, walking through her hay tunnel and cardboard hideys. She sure had me worried for a few days. Thanks for all the suggestions - everyone has such good ideas!