Companion for Adult Boar

singlepig1446

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi everyone!

I adopted two young male boars who were brothers in January. Unfortunately, one of them died suddenly yesterday. It was heartbreaking. No environmental issues, they were both both in a 2x5 C+C cage with lots of hay, veggies, and water.

Anyways, I was wondering what the best course of action would be to help the remaining boar. Right now, he’s doing great, eating well and everything, so I figured I’d monitor him over the course of the week and then decide on bringing new pigs in.

I was wondering what the best idea for companionship would be. Would it be better to keep him as a single pig? He’s not neutered, I was thinking of is having either a divided cage with him on one side and two sows or another male on the other. I suppose if I adopted another male, there’s the slight chance they might be compatible (he’s pretty laid back), but if they don’t get along, I don’t want to cause more stress for him in the long run. Sorry for the ramble, I just don’t know what to do!

Thanks in advance!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:41 pm

I'd take him, ASAP, to the nearest good guinea pig rescue and let him pick himself out a buddy.

They're herd animals, and do much better with another guinea pig as a cage mate. It can take a little trial and error to find two boars that will get along, but it can be done, and the pigs will be happier.

I'm sorry you lost your other pig.

singlepig1446

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:29 am

Thank you!! That’s what I originally intended to do, cause I was like, well, they’re social animals, but when I went to the rescue, they were like “he doesn’t want a buddy”. Ugh. I’ll head back over today to figure out a compatible buddy.
Anyways, thanks so much, and have a good day!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 am

Well, maybe that doesn't qualify as a good rescue! Is there another one around?

If you could find a spayed female, that would be ideal.

JX4

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:02 pm

If it's not a good rescue, I wouldn't trust their ability to properly sex a guinea pig. Make triple sure you have another male or a certified spayed female before bringing it home

singlepig1446

Post   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:08 pm

Ooh that’s a good point! I like the rescue, it’s just that they mainly focus on dogs and cats— smalls are obviously not their forte, which is frustrating. I will definitely check to make sure it’s a male, I want him to have a companion, not surprise small companions lol. Thanks so much, guys!!

singlepig1446

Post   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Hey just wanted to thanks so much for your advice, guys! The next day I went back and got another guinea pig, and incredibly, they got along well immediately! I'm really happy about it and they're happy too haha. Thanks again!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Great news!