Plastic cage liner

nightwolf0215

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:39 am

I live in tropical Vietnam where it is hot and humid. Most people here have their piggies on a type of cage with wire net kind of bottoms to help keep the piggies cool and dry. Some add a layer of plastic liner kinda like the type that comes with pet litter box. It sounds good until I realize the piggies cannot eat their own cecal poops.... What are my options here to keep my piggies dry and clean as well as allowing them to do their thing with their cecal poop? Anyone with similar experience that they can share?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:56 am

Unless a guinea pig is considerably overweight or has difficulty with range of movement due to some medical condition, most guinea pigs reach down to grab the cecal feces directly from their anus. A guinea pig who is not able to do this may poop them out but generally you will never see the cecal feces (special poops). They are usually greenish and smell strongly.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:25 am

Ditto Lynx.

I'd worry more about their feet than about the cecal poops. Guinea pigs should never be housed on wire or on plain plastic. The wire will hurt their feet, and sitting in their own waste can cause bumblefoot as well as urinary tract problems.

I have no idea what's available to you in the way of bedding. I used horse stall pellets, which are very cheap, last a LONG time, and are the best at odor control. If you could find those, they'd be ideal.

Another option would be fleece over an absorbent layer. You'd have more laundry to do, but it would certainly be preferable to housing them on wire.