Just Rescued/Adopted 2 LadyPigs - So Much Cute! So Much Poop!

CavieingIn

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:00 am

Hi everyone

Long time piggie-parent here, but it's been a 4-5 year gap since I had any. Always had them as adults, never as a child.

In my history I've only ever had male pairs, but last night I rescued a female pair. Recuse is a harsh word: the mom of the family that has had them for around 2 years has become gravely ill, and it's not safe to have animals in the home anymore, so I stepped up to the plate.

They're already pretty well socialized. I've chosen to keep them in my bedroom because unlike many, their nighttime antics helps me sleep. They already run to the side of the cage closest to my bed and stare at me because they want attention. :)

They were definitely somewhat nelgected, understandably due to the situation, so the cage was in serious need of cleaning. I'll need to replace the fabric bottom of the cage with choroplast ASAP too.

I know I can (and will) read up on the difference in female vs male behaviors; the mounting and glue situation being an obvious difference. But one thing I've noticed straight away: these two have created an ungodly amount of poop in less than 24 hours. I couldn't believe my eyes (or nose)! Just from a few bits of carrot, some lettuce and hay, and their normal food, it was enough that I felt I already needed to clean it out. Is it normal? Is it possible they're stress pooping from the move? I dunno, I just thought I'd bring it up.

Here's pics of one of the two during playtime earlier today. They came with names I'm not fond of so I'm going to rename them.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:07 am

Cute pigs! And thanks for taking them in.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 pm

They are adorable! Stress pooping is definitely a possibility. I bet they will be wonderful companions for you!

CavieingIn

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:30 am

Hi hi! Well that pic was just of the one pig, who I have named Caramello. :)

I think the fact is they are used to being given absolute unlimited access to their dried food, and were eating far too much and thus creating far too much poop. Their former mommy was using one of those feeders that hangs from the side of the cage and you fill from the top and just allows an unending supply of food, and I just set that up in the short term but today I switched to a very heavy ceramic bowl so that I can give them each about an eighth of a cup a day.

So far they're adapting well, but I have a feeling I'm giving them 10x more attention than they were getting in their unfortunate situation. :\

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Adorbs!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:12 pm

If you aren't already, start weighing them weekly. Daily if they are ill or you suspect illness. Some super guidelines contributed to this site by a vet on how to evaluate proper weight can be found a little way down on this page:
www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

CavieingIn

Post   » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:55 pm

I'm not super concerned at the moment, but I am going to weight them to get a current weight and then do some weighing over the next two weeks just to be safe. I do have a scale still from the last time I had piggies some years back. I once had an anorexic pig that I had to dropper feed critical care after a tooth related incident that got compounded by a super ignorant vet. (He pulled through!)

I just think they have gotten used to literally having an unlimited unending supply of food 24/7 and they're going to have to get used to have more appropriate portions.

Today the one I still can't decide on a name for (Mallomar, I'm thinking maybe) actually licked my nose and fingers a whole bunch. I've had five previous piggies and not one ever licked me! I mean I knew it could happen, but it came as a shock. She's such a little goofball: total terror upon being picked up because, you know, I might eat her of course; but then within seconds, a total hog for cuddles and pets. :)

JX4

Post   » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:43 pm

All of our pigs lick us! We call them kisses. Some lick more than others.

TheCageCleaner

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:23 pm

This is so funny to read--I've only cared for female pigs, but we recently introduced a neutered boy and I immediately noticed that *he* was the one making way more poops! Definitely think 'stress poops' are a real thing as well, one of our girls always has bigger ones if she's freaked out by anything like a new pig or going to the vet.