Advice PLEASE - guinea put to sleep after inoperable kidney stone

Fio0ona

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:34 am

Hi everyone,

I just need some advice about my current situation!

My guinea pig Smokey had to be put to sleep this morning and I'm distraught 😭

He was booked in for an ultrasound on his kidney after the vet felt one was enlarged. The ultrasound revealed he had a very large kidney stone that he wasn't going to be able to pass and was too big to operate on. We saw the vet initially on Saturday but Smokey went downhill really fast and I think the vet didn't think he was strong enough for surgery as well.

I'm struggling with the grief right now, he was an amazing guinea pig and the most sociable and loving pig I've ever had! Everyone always said how beautiful he was and I loved him very much so the thought of replacing him right now seems almost impossible 💔

What I need advice on is that now that Smokey has passed I am left with his brother Nibbles who is now on his own. He seems to be coping well at the moment but I don't plan to keep him on his own as I don't want him to get lonely.

I am also 5 weeks pregnant due in December with my first! 👶🏻

I'm left with this decision of do I give Nibbles up for adoption at a local shelter so that he can be adopted to a great home with other pigs, or do I keep him and get him a cage mate? If I wasn't expecting them I would just get another one but I'm worried about parenthood and also having guinea pig responsibilities, I'd love to hear from anyone who's kept their guinea pigs when going into motherhood 😅

He's only a year and a half but not neutered, what kind of cage mate could I look into getting? The only ones locally that I can find to adopt are males and I did kind of want to avoid buying from a pet shop!

Any advice or help would be so greatly appreciated, thanks for reading 💜

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:46 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. You might want to read over www.guinealynx.info/alone.html for some ideas regarding your remaining guinea pig.

Having a first child is a challenge. Only you will know what to do.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm

If you don't want him to be alone, I'd get a similarly aged, laid back pig from a rescue. I'd also talk to your family about how to support you with the pig(s) in the initial weeks.