I saw a cool idea on Pinterest and was wondering...

LilPigSqueak

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Someone had started growing grass in an old, plastic dog bed (they did this for their bunnies). This is a probably a stupid question, but I was wondering whether you could give your guinea pigs too much grass, if so would a dog bed full of grass be too much for two piggies around the ages of 7 months to 2 years. My piggies are inside therefore I thought that growing grass in a dog bed might be a good way of getting something different and tasty into their diet (they have had grass before). Also, would the plastic be harmful to them if they were to chew it? Maybe it would be better to use a woven dog bed. Props to the person who came up with that idea! Here's a link to the original Pinterest post- https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/735001601659872999/

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:11 pm

Guinea pigs can eat grass. Hay is grass. BUT, you cannot start them off on unlimited green grass. You need to start with small amounts and gradually work up to free-freeding.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:44 am

I tried this several times many years ago. The grass gets soiled, and it attracts fruit flies. You can only give it for a few minutes a day, but the fruit flies are a pest. It would work better if the bottom can drain water like a plant pot and if you could store it outside starting from spring when it's not used. The grass starts to lay flat because of the piggies' weight.

Personally, I prefer small grass trays, and toss them when they are finished, as these get moldy in a couple of days.

LilPigSqueak

Post   » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:08 am

Thanks for the info, I've been searching the internet and quite a few people have been saying the same as you have. I think I'll try using small grass trays instead of the dog bed. As bpatters has said I should start them with small amounts and then work up to free-feeding.

k8c

Post   » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:53 pm

We used a large wading pool on our balcony. We would let the piggies out for short periods of time, with "caging" around and above them. They loved it! We just re-seeded bare spots and moved them to a different part of the pool. By rotating where they were, our piggies were able to always have fresh grass and some outside time.