Vet recommend spayed

Alyssa0927

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:44 pm

About a week ago, I noticed some blood coming out in my guinea pigs poop. We took her to the vet the next day and found out she has some sort of infection in her uterus, and it could be cancer. The vet recommended putting her on medication, and if it didn't work, spaying her, and she's supposed to get spayed tomorrow. I'm just paranoid the surgery isn't going to be successful. She's two years old and perfectly healthy other than the current situation. The medication only seemed to stress her out and it definitely wasn't helping her, so we took her off of it after an 5 days and she started to be much more comfortable. It still hurts her to poop occasionally, but there's no blood. What are the odds of it going wrong?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Spaying is a much more invasive procedure than neutering a male, and does carry some risks. But with a good exotic surgeon and good after care, she should be OK. See https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Yes, make sure it is an experienced exotic surgeon, not a small animal vet. Feel free to ask the surgeon how many spays they have done and what the outcome was. As bpatters said, with an experienced surgeon and good post-op care, the odds are she will be fine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Did she have an xray to rule out stones?

minnesota92

Post   » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 pm

If she is eating and pooping you will be good. Not to scare you, but I just lost mine a couple weeks ago from her spay, so be on alert at all times. I don't think she was even 3 years old yet. She had a massive cystic uterus and eventually it would have ruptured. I hope it goes better for you! Do you know if she has cysts?