Head shaking while popcorning

Lunaadorable18

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:37 am

My smallest guinea pig (female) I just get her almost a month ago due to the fact that one of my guinea pigs die and the other one went into depression afterwards. We get 2 new guinea pigs for her not to become lonely. But I noticed that she shakes her head to the side and kind of loses her balance while popcorning. Today after a lot of popcorning and doing that she stop and started making a weird whisling like noise mixed with her normal noise. Is this normal or should i be worry? I'm a new guinea pig owner.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:11 am

I do not know. Small guinea pigs can easily fall over when they are popcorning around. Do weigh weekly and watch for any signs of illness.
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:11 pm

Any chance your piggy might be blind or deaf? My boy who is both blind and deaf sometimes shakes his head a bit, and can have some balance issues when popcorning or trying to get the cecal pellets.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:03 am

Vivid popcorners can fall over during popcorning. Binky does a funny popcorn here too. He does boink-boink-boink-floppyflop with his ears, repeat.

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Does it look kind of like this (Youtube link)? This is an example of a young guinea pig popcorning too hard and falling over a bit (and running into her surroundings a little too). I don't believe it's cause for concern- this pig grew up just fine- I think it's just like toddlers losing their balance sometimes. If she has balance issues while walking or running normally without popcorning, then it would be time to take her to the vet. But it sounds more like her body just hasn't figured out how to compensate for that much fun yet :)

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:13 am

In my case: no. Binky popcorns, flops his ears 3 times, repeat.

Zaphy

Post   » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:16 am

Haha, sorry- I meant to address OP cause they sounded worried about it. Now that I look at it I realize this thread is way older than I thought it was when I replied, and my response kiiiiinda sounds super condescending... that is my bad, I didn't intend it that way.

It is also possible that I am reading way too much into the situation, in which case I hope you'll forgive my awkward babbling- I'm super sleep deprived right now due to terrible time management skills (how did I get on the Internet and why am I still here instead of working on my project???), and I've reached that weird point where nothing makes sense anymore so I also apologize for that if that is the case, heh.

Anyway, holy cow that sounds stinking adorable. My pigs only ever flop their ears when they wheek too loudly and scare themselves because they're dumb but it is just the cutest thing and it makes me giggle every time :')

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:06 am

No apologies needed, it actually must have made matters more clear to be able to say this was not it ;)

I had the weirdest popcorners over all those years. Usually, the ones that topple over as babies tend to get way calmer with age, but all the pigs I had used to popcorn till they became too ill, even at an old age. I wonder if the ear floppery flop will stay when Binky gets older, or if he just will revert to a simple old age popcorn instead.