Knocking down water bottle

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 pm

My guinea pigs are constantly knocking down their water bottle. Almost every day, I come home to find soaked fleece and an empty bottle. It has only started happening recently, so it's not the water bottle. Also, they have started biting the bars a lot more. They are in a fairly small cage (4 feet by 2 feet, approximately) but they get floor time almost daily and have wood toys to chew. They get attention, but not during the day on weekdays. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? I am worried about their teeth and them never having water from knocking it down so much

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:21 am

In my experience, knocking down the water bottle is often a sign of boredom or other upset. So is bar chewing. From what you described, a bigger cage may help.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:12 pm

I would also make sure the bottle is working properly or maybe add a second water bottle to see if there’s a change. But boredom may just be it as PooksiedAnimals said.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Check to make sure the water bottle is actually working. Shake it to check if the ball is moving freely up and down the spout. If you can't rattle the ball up and down, it may be clogged or you may have the kind that has a spring inside that holds the ball to the end (They can't drink from the kind with a spring...it's too hard for them to push the ball inwards.) Hang the bottle and press your finger to the tip and then remove it. It should drip a few times every time you do this. If not, something's wrong with it. If they are thirsty, it could be a reason they are biting the bars of the cage.

If the bottle is working properly and they are just knocking it off for something to do, you need to attach it better to the side of the cage.

By the way, wood toys for chewing are worthless for guinea pigs. Their chewing teeth are in the back, not the front. They need unlimited good quality hay to chew to keep their teeth healthy.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks for all the replies! Although a larger cage is, sadly, not possible, I will try to do more floor time. The water bottle is working, so I think it is boredom.
WICharlie, don't worry, they do have unlimited Timothy hay. I just got them the wood chews because they like pushing them around and they seem to enjoy nibbling them. As long as they aren't unsafe, I just use them to help the pigs' boredom.
Additionally, something that I saw after posting this is about adolescent guinea pigs. Mine are around 8 months, so they are at the age when that could be occurring if what I read was correct. Could that make them more energetic/crazy?