Help! Piggies fighting!

M1dn1ght

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi everyone.

I have two young boars, both about 3 months old, who are increasingly having difficulties getting along. We got Cisco first, then introduced Wynn three days later. When they first met, Cisco was the dominant one. Wynn has since become more bold and has really taken over the alpha spot.

Wynn has become very aggressive with Cisco. Their cage is 8 square feet, and they have full run of another 24 square feet because I have a large playpen attached to their cage and the door between the two enclosures is always open.

I recently have been observing Wynn bullying Cisco by not allowing him to enter the cage. Their sleeping area is set up right at the cage door, and Wynn likes to hang out there. When Cisco approaches the door, Wynn will rumblestrutt, chatter his teeth, and sometimes even lunge at Cisco, pushing him back away from the door.

Their sleeping and eating areas are both inside the cage, so Wynn is preventing Cisco from accessing their food when he does this. Cisco does seem to find ways to sneak in, but Wynn's aggression is increasing and I'm hesitant to separate them - one because this space is all I have for them and two because, even though they aren't bffs, they do live together and I don't want to interfere with any bonding they might accomplish.

I do take one of them out of their enclosure each day so they can have some alone time (I take turns so they each get equal time outside the cage with me). Whichever piggie is outside gets to snuggle in a cuddle cup on my desk as I work while the other one gets the whole 32 square feet to himself. I only intervene if they continue struggling with each other after the initial attack.

Can anyone offer some other advice on what I can do to make this easier for them? They are so young, I'm hoping they will calm down as they get older, but it's so hard watching one push the other one around so much.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Have multiple areas of food and water so there can be no hording.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Also make sure there's no door that can be blocked. Their whole area should be freely available to them both, without the possibility of one keeping the other out of part of it. That goes for hideys as well -- they should all have at least two doors.

You may need to move the eating and sleeping areas into the larger play area.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:20 pm

I might do that. I can change the configuration in their cage and in their play area so it's more spread out and maybe give Cisco his own space in the larger playground.

I'm watching them right now and Wynn is actively chasing Cisco around the playground area now. His teeth are constantly chattering and poor Cisco just keeps running away.

Is there anything else I need to worry about? I've read that as long as there's no bleeding, they're fine and to just let them work it out, but this has been steadily escalating over several weeks now. I'm really afraid Wynn drawing blood might be the next phase.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Try the larger space, first. And also put up some visual blocks, like fleece forests, so Wynn can't always see Cisco.

It may all change at any time. Cisco may decide he's the dominant one, and will be the one chasing Wynn. You've got adolescent boars, and it's gonna be a rocky ride, for you and for them.

JX4

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:15 pm

They'll calm down in a year or so, but right now their hormones are raging. Think 12 year old boys who have something to prove to each other and think they're invincible. Two of everything, and as others said, lay things out so no one pig can horde. Fleece forests are a good idea too. Take things in stride. If there's no blood, don't worry about it. It's mostly 12 year old boys playing truth or dare, but without the "truth" option. It sounds worse to you than it does to them.