Switching from Timothy to orchard grass hay

M1dn1ght

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi everyone!

I have two boar babies (both of them are a little more than 3 months old) and I think I am allergic to Timothy hay. I bought some orchard grass hay when they started to run low on the Timothy, and when I placed a handful of it in their cage, they gobbled it.

They obviously liked it, so I refilled their hay hopper with the orchard grass hay.

They have slowed WAAAAAY down in eating their hay. They are approaching the hay and nibbling at it, but don't seem nearly as interested in eating it as they were when I first gave them some. They still get their pellet food and unlimited fresh water. I give them the appropriate amount of fresh vegetables every day as well.

Is it possible that they just aren't hungry for it yet? Will they eventually start eating it when they get interested enough or should I go back to giving them the Timothy hay and return the orchard grass to the merchant?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:02 pm

They'll eventually get used to it. But you could also try blue grass or meadow grass.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 am

They are showing a little more interest today, but I'm concerned they are going to suffer health problems if they don't start eating their hay more regularly. How long do I wait before I take some action?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:03 pm

As long as they are eating it, I wouldn't worry too much. They also have their pellets and veggies. I'd keep offering it for now, perhaps mixing it with whatever timmy hay you have left.

Jloucherry

Post   » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 pm

With my two guinea pigs, they seem to go through phases. One month they will be all about the pellets, and then the next month, they could care less about pellets and now be all about the hay. Some weeks they love veggies and some weeks it takes them all day to finish their veggies. I think they get cravings or food favorites just like Humans. Some weeks I would kill for Chinese food, and other weeks all I want is salad.

lilythepig2017

Post   » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 am

My guinea pig liked Timothy and LOVED bluegrass and didn’t like orchard grass (could have been brand though). My nose didn’t like orchard either so we will go back to Bluegrass