Bad air quality?

CavyGirl04

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 pm

I live in Southern California and, if you don't know, we are dealing with wildfires and, as a result, very bad air quality. I have been coughing and experiencing headaches after being outside. The piggies are inside (and are probably NOT going outside this weekend like they normally do), but can this have a negative effect on them? I haven't' noticed anything so far, but the air quality is super bad and many schools here have even been closed due to it, as well as a local 2k race canceled. They're inside, of course, but I can't help but worry. Does anyone have experience with this?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 pm

I imagine inside they will be much safer. You might consider an air purifier.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Ditto on the air purifier. I have a Honeywell that is pretty great. A few months back we had terrible air quality because of the wildfires in Canada (we are in WA) and it was very uncomfortable. I work outside so it was naturally worse for me, but by the third day it was no better indoors. Really recommend the air purifier.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:27 pm

Of course, now that I posted about it, the air is much better :) However, since this (the air quality/nearby fire) is bound to happen next fall, I will look into getting an air purifier in anticipation of that.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:28 pm

I live in So Cal too and have had to deal with this situation quite a few times.  I keep air cleaners running 24/7 and it helps a lot.  One time I had to set up extra cleaners, because the smoke had infiltrated our house and it was pretty smokey inside!  The extra cleaners took it out in just a couple hours.  It all just depends on how close the fire is and which way the wind blows.  The other issue (besides smoke) is the extremely dry air caused by the Santa Ana winds.  You may want to use a humidifier in another room, away from the pigs, just to bump up the humidity a little.  Also, have a good evacuation plan in place and be ready to carry it out if necessary.

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:10 am

I don't live in an area fire-prone myself, but it's just the smoke that sometimes comes to us (especially with the Santa Ana winds). Recently it was worse because of the fire on the 405, which was closer than usual to my house (less than 10 miles away). Also, thanks for the humidifier tip! The dry air sucks, and a respite from chapped lips would be nice.