Oxbow Vitamin C Supplement

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:18 am

Does anyone know off the top of your head if the 'new' Oxbow Vitamin C supplement contains calcium carbonate? I'm not seeing it on the label, but that's a fair amount of calcium (.5% min; .7% max) with no source listed.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:17 am

Bpatters -- do you happen to know? I remember researching these a few years ago, when they first came out, and although they didn't list calcium carbonate on the label, Oxbow told me that they did contain it. With the re-formulation of their products, I was just curious if they took that ingredient out of their supplements. I suppose I can just call them and ask.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 am

I guess you'll have to call. They still don't list it in the ingredients, but I don't see anything on the ingredient list that would cause them to have .5% calcium.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:14 am

All veggies have some calcium carbonate, but minor. So, some of the calcium on the list will be calcium carbonate. There are various other calcium sources, like calcium nitrate, which is a fertilizer. Chances are big that this one is the largest calcium source in the tablets.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:09 am

Calcium nitrate is not usually the calcium source for pet food. It absorbs moisture from the air, and I think I remember that it's used to help stabilize whatever compound glues the other ingredients together. It's pretty toxic, I think, so is only used in minute amounts.