Remember to quarantine

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:21 am

I know most of us know this but I wanted to remind people why we do it. On Monday I adopted a little girl who looks healthy and I debated just putting her in with my Bambi because she is still mourning the loss of Indiana. But, I stuck with my quarantine plan and took her to the vet on Friday. She has lice. She’s under quarantine for a month now until she receives her second revolution treatment. The cost for just the medication was $50. If I’d have broken the quarantine I would be treating two pigs, at $100, instead of one.

It’s also important to note quarantine procedures are important to follow because if they’d been in the same room or I wore the same clothes around them I could easily spread the lice.

lisam

Post   » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Ugh. Lice are the worst! For some reason, it seems harder to get rid of than mites. Especially in longer haired pigs.

I always have Revolution on hand. I buy it from Petshed.com without a prescription but it takes awhile to get here since it's coming from Australia (or New Zealand? I can't remember). However, you can also use ivermectin to get rid of lice.