Can I/Should I take them to the store

GoldenGirls

Post   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:40 am

One of my Guinea Pigs has a vet appointment Friday and it’s over an hour away. I need more food for her and her friends but don’t want to leave her in the carrier in my car. I live in the Midwest and it is getting quite cold out. There is no telling how long a trip inside the store can be. Should I take her inside? I’ve got a diaper bag that is square like a duffle bag and could put what she needs inside of it just for the shopping. I know it’s an odd thing. When I was young I had a dwarf hamster and would often put him on my pocket when I went to the grocery (my mom didn’t like that I did this) but obviously she is much to big for a small space like a pocket. I don’t want to stress her more then I need to.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:49 pm

If it's cold, leaving her in the car will be no problem, unless maybe if she's a skinny pig. Just take along a piece of fleece or a towel to throw over the cage, and don't leave her in the direct sun. It can get quite hot in a car even on a cool day.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:14 pm

It sounds like you are afraid she will be too cold. If she is in a typical carrier, I don't see any problem with her being taken into the local pet food store. You might be talking about taking her into the local grocer though. It might be okay to take her in and have her in the bottom of the cart (and don't draw too much attention to her). I once had my guinea pig in the Logli's but she had just been to the vet and needed a prescription that I had to get from their pharmacy. So I brought her in with me because I didn't want to leave her in the car. And it was a nice day out.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:46 pm

Ditto bpatters. A piece of fleece draped over the cage will help keep your haired guinea pig warm. And as WICharlie notes, you could likely just take the carrier in if you were really worried.

GoldenGirls

Post   » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:40 pm

thank you all :)

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:06 am

I brought the carrier (cat carrier) into many stores and no one noticed.

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:07 am

It might not be a goodmidea ifmyou are getting food...

MariusMum

Post   » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:08 pm

I also had a customer at my retail job (in central mass) who brought her cuy in.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 pm

When I was graduating college, had moved out of the dorm (and so had everyone else) and had nowhere to leave my guinea pig (too hot in the car), my mother and I smuggled him into the diner in a canvass bag. It went well, except when we went to pack up, we realized he'd eaten the apple slice my mother had given him and moved on to eating the bag itself. He was peeking at me through the hole in the bag and there were little bits of bag on the floor. I bundled him up quickly and left, while my parents settled the check. Therefore, I do not suggest carrying a pig in a bag in a store.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:16 pm

Ha! Guinea pigs just can't stop eating!