I'm thinking about getting a sow for my boar

GuinessOllie

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Hey guys , I want to get a sow for my boar because I want to raise and sell piggies . I also want to get a sow for him so he can have a friend to make him more happy than he already is , so he can be a piggie . He wants a sow because he wants a family . I love baby piggies . I love all Guinea pigs of all ages

JX4

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:56 pm

You are not going to find support for breeding on this forum. We had accidental babies and yes, they are cute, but you also have to care for them. And it was nerve-wracking to me to find good homes for them. Many baby guinea pigs are picked up by snake owners as snake food. Don't do it. You can get your pig neutered and then get him a sow. He can "do it" to his heart's content but you won't have babies.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Ditto JX4. You are best off finding another forum if you want to breed. We strongly discourage it here, for many reasons - risk to the mother and pups and overpopulation issues. You knew this when you signed up. It is pretty clear.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:41 pm

We're anti-breeding for good reasons. There are hundreds and hundreds of guinea pigs in rescues and shelters that need good homes. No one should ever breed as long as there are pigs that need adoption.

Do you know about the genetic diseases that pigs have? Do you know what a pig with lethal white syndrome is? Are you prepared for lifelong, expensive vet care if you have a lethal white pup? Do you know about osteodystrophy and the pain those pigs are in? Do you know about microphthalmia and how to care for blind pigs?

Do you have the money for exotic vet visits if something happens to your pigs? What happens if a sow has a pup too large to deliver? Can you afford an emergency spay, which would be several hundred dollars?

How will you find good homes for the pups? Or do you just plan to let them to go to anyone who'll pay your fee? What if they just want the pup for snake food?

How will you feel if your sow dies during labor and delivery? The death rate is high for both sows and pups, in no small part because guinea pig pups are so large in relation to the sow.

If you want to make money, I'd suggest you find someway to do it that doesn't have such a huge potential for causing suffering to small innocent animals.

GuinessOllie

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 pm

I will not sell any of my baby pigs too snake owners . I will interview my potential buyers to make sure the pigs will go to a snake free home .

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Well, we're still not promoting breeding here. So you'll have to find somewhere else to help you. Don't bother with Guinea Pig Cages either -- they're a non-breeding site also, and you won't get any more help there than here.

GuinessOllie

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:56 pm

I understand . I just wanted to put it out there and I thought I would make a post about here for some advice . But I was wrong . I didn't think I would get bashed .

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 pm

I don't know why you didn't expect it. As I remember, the terms of service when you join this site explicitly say that this is a pro-adoption, anti-breeding site. And there have certainly been dozens of threads discussing it.

GuinessOllie

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:20 pm

You know what I really don't agree with this anti breeding . if this is a site to give advice and knowledge to Guinea pig owners/ new owners . It should be good advice and friendly advice . Users on here don't deserve to be bashed and don't deserve ignorance from users . Nor should I . I am very offended .

JX4

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 pm

If you do decide to do it with support from somewhere else, know that snake owners are very good at fooling inexperienced breeders. They will bring photos of the cage they have set up to keep their guinea pigs in. They will bring photos of the home they are going to. Except it often isn't their home or their guinea pig cage. They know guinea pig owners usually don't want their babies going to snakes, so they come prepared to tell you what you want to hear.

There are also people from Peru who eat guinea pigs. Cuy (guinea pig) is practically a national dish. A couple I know through a mutual friend the husband is a native of Peru. He looks for adult guinea pigs to pick up from people who are tired of them and he grills them and eats them. Seriously. I know it's his culture, so I try not to hold it against him personally, but believe me I try to keep piggies away from him.

Once a baby has left your home, you have no control what happens to it. That's why we only re-homed two of our babies and kept the rest. We have more guinea pigs than we planned on, which has sometimes been hard, but I couldn't bear the thought of the cute babies we had grown attached to going anywhere else. It didn't help that the two we re-homed got given away to another party a year afterwards and I have no idea whether they ended up snake or people food.

Your boar is so cute, you should indeed get him a friend. But please no sows to breed. He can be friends with another boar or you can neuter him or you can find a spayed female at a shelter.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 pm

bpatters makes excellent points. If you plan on breeding your guinea pig, you need to find a different forum to post on. We will not be supportive.

crowcrash

Post   » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:03 pm

I deal with baby pigs every day where I work, and it loses its charm.

Aside from all of the emotional reasons, it just costs a lot. Piggies are super poopers, and the young ones make an art of it, so you have to change the bedding much more often. One litter of pups can blow through bags of hay and wood toys like it's nothing. Sometimes you'll get that unpredictable baby that bites a littermate's ear, or someone shows signs of a cold - bam, vet bills. Your piggy parents may also be carrying bordatella and you wouldn't know because they don't show any signs of an infection (especially if they came from a pet store or shelter, where they're exposed to it), and that results in miscarriages and complications that results in more vet bills.

It's just not worth it. Do foster care for animal rescues instead and play with lots of babies without risking yours. A lot of people foster dogs and cats, but guinea pigs and rabbits are currently in dire need of foster care too.