Other animal disease transmission

Piglet1303

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 am

Hi,

I've tried researching this but I can't find any information online about this, I'm about to start a rotational placement working with various livestock (poultry, fish, cattle, sheep, pigs etc.) and I was wondering if anyone knew if any diseases these animal might have could be passed through me to my guineas? I know the issue would more be me passing diseases from my girls to the properties I'm visiting but I just want to know if anyone can reassure me that I'll be safe from going the other way

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:41 am

I would say the chances of that happening are extremely small as long as you change clothes and wash your hands thoroughly before handling your guinea pigs.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:43 am

I am sure (I hope!!!) that there are protocols in place for not transmitting diseases while doing your rotational placements. If not, you all need to address this.

As far as guinea pigs go, fungal infections can be passed to you and to other animals. It is possible bacterial infections can also be. I think a lot depends on the general health of your guinea pigs.

I would play it safe and at the VERY LEAST, wash hands thoroughly, change shoes and clothing. Poultry especially, you can transmit diseases from one poultry flock to another. Biosecurity is of utmost importance. Here's a site I grabbed quickly from google:
http://animalsciencey.ucdavis.edu/avian/pfs26.htm

Piglet1303

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:29 am

Thanks for your replies. I'm definitely changing clothes and showering etc before I do anything with them after placements. We were giving biosecurity precautions beforehand (I.e not contact with birds 48 hours before visiting pigs or chickens, clean shoes etc. ) so I think the assumption is that their animals aren't carrying anything but we weren't told about afterwards. I think fungi and bacteria would be the main issue but I'll just be extra careful that they won't come into contact with anything from the farms.

Thanks again :)