How dumb would I be to get this guinea pig?

zaphraina

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 pm

I was hoping you guys could talk me out of (or into?) rescuing a guinea pig. I volunteer for a cat rescue and I clean the kennels of the cats housed in Petco. For the last two days I've noticed two guinea pigs in the adoption (not sale) section of Petco, one male and one female. The male really caught my eye. He reminds me of my first pair of boars I had when I was a teenager. His nails were pretty over-grown. Today I made the mistake of asking an employee to let me hold him. I was told he was purchased from the store a couple months ago and returned. He's been in the store for over two weeks, in the back in one of those tiny aquariums! They just moved him to the front, in a fish tank on a table near the "for sale" animals. His ears are all chewed up. It looks like when he was a baby his siblings stress-groomed his ears to shreds. Now his ears are a bit red and have some very mild scabbing. I touched them and he flinched like it hurts. The Petco employee didn't seem concerned when I mentioned the ears, although I didn't try to push the issue because I heard a very awful story involving treatment of guinea pigs at this particular store that I won't go into.

If I had lots of space I'd take that pig in a cold minute. I've wanted to have guinea pigs again for years, but I have no space for the kind of cage they need. Ideally I'd like to foster him. I sent a message to my local guinea pig rescue and they responded immediately (I was very impressed) that they are full and can't take him even if I foster. They suggested I ask the cavy rescue in the next county (I'm in Orange County, CA) but even they have a 6-8 week waiting list. Should I get on the waiting list and try homing him myself in the meantime? Or would I just be moving him from one bad situation to another? He'd still be in a small cage at my home, but at least I could give him some floor time and Ivermectin for those ears. He'd still be alone, maybe for a couple months. Anyone have some advice? Anyone in California want an adorable boar with lots of rosettes? I'm willing to drive him somewhere, even if it's a couple hundred miles!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Oh, it sounds like he has caught your heart!

I would be tempted to jump in, get him healthy, see if you can't do a bigger cage somehow, and think about how you could find a good home for him.

[secretly hoping it is your home...]

zaphraina

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Oh, keeping him would be so nice! I've already named him, and chastised myself for doing so. Probably not in the stars for right now but if he's still there tonight I'll probably cave and at least bring him home. I need to go back to Petco later to drop off a new cat. I don't think my self control will be able to take seeing him a third time and leaving him.

WICharlie

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:56 pm

I guess it depends on whether you are buying him or they are going to give him to you. Unfortunately, buying is not saving. It's just adding to the problem.

Nuoc Mam

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 pm

Very interesting...please keep us posted on your decision.

zaphraina

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Well I did it! I caved and adopted him. Petco gave him to me so I feel good about that. I've talked to my vet and turns out they stock Ivermectin so I'll probably get his ears looked at sometime soon. Right now I'm letting him settle but I'll get some pictures soon. He's so cute! I feel bad because I put him in my hamster's cage and moved my hamster into her smaller spare cage. Poor hammy loves her giant Critter Nation palace. At least the piggy has a bigger cage than the store had him in. I'll just have to make sure they both get time out of their cages.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Good for you!

You might consider that the current problem with his ears isn't mites but fungus. You can treat with something like Lotrimin or Nystatin, and then keep them supple with cold pressed virgin coconut oil.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:05 pm

Yay! On your way to fuzzy guinea pig love!

WICharlie

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:06 pm

I don't want to be critical, but a hamster cage is just too small. I know you are aware of that. It's vital to get the pig into a decent sized cage or it's not much better off than it was in the pet store.