Dirty guinea pig

CavyGirl04

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:35 am

I have two roughly 6-week-old guinea pigs. Today I noticed one had some cream-colored to yellow stuff on her shoulder, tummy, and a bit on her nose. I thought it might be pee or something so I wiped it a bit with a damp washcloth. A bit came off but not that much, but I didn't want to give a full bath since I've read you can't do that until they're a bit older. I was wondering if she'll clean herself or if not, what should I do? She also smells. The other one is clean and smells fine so I don't think it's an issue with the cage cleanliness... any help? New cavy owner here.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Turn both pigs over and compare their pertinent parts. You may well have one male guinea pig.

If so, separate them IMMEDIATELY and cross your fingers that the female is not pregnant.

You can bathe her. Get some exotic pet shampoo, or kitten shampoo. Just keep her warm and make sure she's thoroughly dry before you put her back in the cage.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:19 pm

CavyGirl04

Post   » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:22 pm

I checked and I'm pretty sure I have two girls. Thanks for the info! I will keep being alert...

Pygmy_Lima_Bean

Post   » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:02 pm

When that happens with my 5 year old. I will take a warm damp/wet towel and wipe down whatever smells. Then get some piggy safe shampoo and put a little on one side of the towel, and soflty scrub with it. Then wet the towel again and wipe the area. It usually works. Hopefully I made sense.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:43 am

If it's two females, what was the "stuff"?

CavyGirl04

Post   » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:01 am

I was wondering if it could be dried urine? The other piggie sometimes crawls on top of her so maybe she could have been peed on? It hasn't happened again, so I was also wondering if she sat down on a wet patch or something.