Vitamin C Supplement Recommendations

cmh0328

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:57 am

One of my daughters piggies has been battling Mites since February. Mind you 2 vets later. He has been on Revolution since June. The vet though wants us to give him a vitamin supplement. She don't want us to just give him peppers and other veggies with vitamin c in it. I have tried the Oxbow Vit C tablets. The both of them don't want any part of it. I tried putting some water on it to soften it up. I also tried to break it up in small pieces. That didn't work either. The vet also said that I could get chew able vit c tablets in the drug store. I couldn't find them either. I was putting the vit c drops in the water. I read online that isn't good because it does something to the drops. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:31 am

Do you have pictures of the guinea pigs with the mites? Sometimes they can have concurrent fungal infections. Try also ivermectin, topically.
topical_ivermectin.html
fungus.html
mites.html

Vitamin C would not be the deciding factor in getting rid of mites. There may be something else going on.
hairloss.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:25 am

Many vets get their vitamin C recommendations from their vet school textbooks, some of which are drastically out of date. Recommendations for vitamin C is one area, guinea pig weights is another.

If your pig is getting pellets with stabilized vitamin C (KMS Hayloft or Oxbow are both excellent), and is getting fresh vegetables every day, he doesn't need a C supplement unless he's been ill or had surgery. Too much C can actually contribute to bladder stones.

Ditto Lynx about the possibility of a fungus problem.

cmh0328

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Lynx,
That's what the first vet thought he had was a fungal infection. Thats why we went back a couple of times . When I took him to the 2nd vet she scraped off a little of the white he had by his bottom and put it under a micro scope. That's where she saw the mites moving around. She even let me look in the microscope and I saw them. She wanted me to try the revolution first to see if that will work. It is really helping '. He only has a little white by his bottom now and the hair is starting to grow back. If it didn't work then I would of had him go back to get a shot of ivermectin. I will just make sure he has enough fresh veggies and enough pellets.
The only other thing from all the scratching is he got a sore on his side that he wont let heal. As soon as it gets a scab on it he will scratch it back off and it will start to bleed

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Then he's not getting enough Revolution.

You can treat for mites yourself. Ivermectin can be applied directly to the skin, and three doses, each a week apart, should take care of it.

See Lynx's ivermectin link above.

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 am

Yes, do read the section on mites in the Health Care Guide. Ivermectin is readily available in stores like farm & Fleet (in the section for livestock). I would not subject my pigs to an injection when it is just as reliable being used topically. Also, one shot of ivermectin is not going to get rid of the mites. It has to be applied at least 3 times with 7 days in between each dose.

If the pig is living in the same cage with other pigs (or they live in close proximity to other pigs), they ALL have to be treated at the same time.

cmh0328

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:16 am

Both my daughters pigs live in different cages. We got them at different times about 2 months from each other and just put them in different cages. We have had them a little over a year now. My husband is all for getting the ivermectin. The other pig don't have any signs at all. Do I still have to treat him?

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:30 am

Generally when you treat one animal for mites you should treat all animals of the same species that are nearby. Think about it: flying hairs around the room get to each other's cages and even if they aren't in the same room it's likely you touched one and then the other without realizing it or touched something in their cages. It is hard to tell whether or not the mites are present and signs vary on the stage. Treat both otherwise it could continue to spread back and forth between the pigs. Also thoroughly clean the room and cages. I would recommend cleaning the cages with vinegar-water. Mites can be a pain and if everything is not cleaned thoroughly or if the pigs are not treated correctly it can cause them to repeatedly return so make sure not to miss anything! Good luck!

Also, please carefully read the GuineaLynx page on mites if you haven't already! It is full of valuable information

cmh0328

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 am

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:06 am

That's the right ivermectin.

But I have a question. Assuming your pigs are the same sex, couldn't you let them live together? They're herd animals, and much happier with a buddy.

cmh0328

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:59 am

bpatters
Ok thats good. Do I use the syringe that comes with it. I don't know how much Squeaky weighs though. The vet said around 2 lbs and something. They are both a male. Both my daughters are scared that they will fight and one of them will get hurt. They always get scared when I put them both on the floor together and peanut the bigger male tries to bite Squeaky the smaller one. Squeaky is the one with the mite problem

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:49 pm

You need a scale. A kitchen scale, which costs $15 or less, is the best tool in your pig healthcare aresenal. You need to weigh regularly, and daily if the pig is sick.

And you need a needleless syringe marked off in hundredths of a CC. You can probably buy one from a pharmacy, or they might give it to you if you tell them it's to treat an animal.

Here are the dosages: https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_iver ... ur-on.html

See http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for how to introduce guinea pigs. But don't do it unless you've got a large cage to put them in. No pet store cage is large enough for one pig, much less two, much less two boars.