Can a dominant pig become submissive to a new pig added to the herd? I am SO curious

pigpen456

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:04 pm

I recently adopted a 3rd guinea pig and introduced her to my 2 existing females. The introduction has gone well and nothing has occurred that was unexpected. My dominant piggy was showing the new piggy who was boss for about the first 24 hours and things subsided after that. Everything was flowing quite naturally and the piggies seemed to be getting along very well.

I have noticed today that my new piggy is rumblestrutting when she gets near the dominant piggy. My dominant pig does not really seem to have a reaction to this and just lets the new piggy do her thing.

Is rumblestrutting only used to show dominance or can it mean something else? & Could a previously dominant pig of a herd become submissive when a new piggy is added and the hierarchy is switched up?

Just curious. I have had no issues of fighting or even teeth chattering but am very interested in guinea pig behaviors.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Maybe she's just in heat.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Could be heat. I have seen a sow that was dominant over one pig, be the submissive with another. so that's certainly possible.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Do double check sex, too.
www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html

WICharlie

Post   » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:32 pm

The answer to your questions is "yes." Anytime you introduce another pig, they have to go through a re-organization of the hierarchy and a pig that was initially dominant may very well become submissive.

pigpen456

Post   » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Thank you everyone!