New to the forum and piggies...

Nuoc Mam

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks kailaeve1271 for the thorough reply. I have checked all the shelters near my house in a 30 mile radius and either they do not have any or they have 1 which will require another piggy. How about this site villagepetshop.weebly.com????

kailaeve1271

Post   » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 pm

I have never had experience from them so I would not know. To me it sounds like they are adopting from regular breeders in their area. Breeders should generally be a warning because you do not know the genetics, lifestyles or care your guinea pig was in before you adopted it. This can cause health problems or a skittish piggy. I would really wait and see for others in the forum to answer on this one. They may know more about the site than I do.

Pet shops are legally not allowed to sell piglets that have been "returned" if they are born in another house (even if the mother was bought pregnant at the shop). I'd call and ask to see if they'd allow you two adopt, (not buy because again it is illegall), the "returned" pigs. That way you can keep the pigs from being sent back to the breeder to be bred and the pet shop does not gain any money from the adoption. Also you are almost guaranteed more than one piglet since many are not born alone and even if they only have one you can adopt another.

This is much better than just buying a pet store pig in my opinion. You still risk health problems and possible mistreatment, but you are not encouraging pet stores to continue this.

RKelly

Post   » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:39 pm

I use fleece throw blankets from the clearance section at WalMart and bought cheap towels to use under them. Just make sure the fleece isn't the super soft kind of silky feeling. I accidentally got some of those and after multiple vinegar washings they still don't wick. I've never noticed any smell except hay but we have an only child for now who is free range. We just throw on gloves and poop scoop his cage and condo a couple of times a day. Full cage and condo change twice a week. He's only loud when he wants veggies or greets us when we come home. We use KMS hay and pellets. Not really sure how much he goes through since I usually just order when it starts getting low. Even though the shipping price is crazy (east TN) it's still cheaper than Oxbow per pound. Usually spend $20 a week on veg, but he likes the expensive stuff. Digital scale was $20 at WalMart.