Guinea Noises

hamsterface200

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 pm

My guinea pigs make lots of noises and I was wondering if a purring noise was defensive or happy. Also one of mine also squeals whenever I try to pick it up, what does that mean? When I hold my guineas the like to squeak a lot, they make little noises, is that good or bad? They do it all the time, and they will also squeal when they hear the other make a squealing noise, does that mean they miss each other? I know it was a lot of questions, I hope they can be answered!

RKelly

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Mine has two different purrs. He does the happy purr when he wants attention, while getting petted, favorite vegs, etc. I've only heard the back off purr a few times. It's lower pitched and not as loud. He kinda puffed up and just looked mad. After six month he still squeaks and tries to escape when I pick him up. During lap time he mostly makes little bubble noises and sleeps. As to the calling for each other squealing I don't know about that since I only have one (will be fixing that when I'm able to move, it was either I take him or he was most likely going to be dumped. Previous owner thought he was a burden). I have read that it's kind of a piggy tracking device so everyone knows where everyone else is. How long have you had your pigs?

hamsterface200

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:42 pm

I have ad then a little over three or four months

JX4

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:13 pm

The happy purr is higher pitched than the mad rumble or the rumble they do in showing dominance to other pigs (it's not necessarily that they are mad, just showing dominance, when it's to another pig). That is called rumble-strutting and is accompanied by a waggle of the hind end in a sort of weird dance like move. If a male is rumble-strutting near or around a female, he is asking her if she is "in the mood." I have heard some of my pigs do a quick, short low-pitched rumble (no strutting) when they have been startled by a loud noise.

Teeth clacking is really mad and if they are doing that to you, you need to back off. My pigs (I have 7) have never clacked their teeth at me, though they have done it to each other at times.

The little bubble noises (or what I call the squeaky wagon wheel noises) mean they are content.

The squealing when being picked up is scared. They are prey animals so it is their instinct to be afraid of being picked up, and that instinct is usually too powerful for them to overcome even when they know you well. To make it less traumatic for them, you can get them to crawl into a tube or box and then pick that up with them in it. I have two lofts with ramps up to them at each end of the cage where I keep their hay, and my pigs will often run up to the loft and sit there and wait for me to scoop them up when they know I want to pick them up (I always say, "Who wants to be held?") and they are game. I didn't train them to do that, they just started doing it and I noticed after awhile that that was a pattern. I think it's less traumatic for them because it is easier for me to scoop them up from below that way. Which brings me to the advice of always try to scoop them up from below rather than have The Hand coming from above them because that's too much like an eagle descending upon them to grab them.

The loud wheek (or "yeep" as it sounds to me) sound they make can mean a lot of different things. It can mean excitement (Food is coming!) or as an attention-getter (Come here! And then feed me!), or as a way to signal where they are to other pigs in their herd and/or to figure out where the others are.

There is also a chirping sound that sounds exactly like a bird. It is rare to hear -- I have had 7 pigs for a little over two years now and I've only heard one of them chirping one time, and that was at 4 in the morning when I happened to be sleeping in the recliner near their cage while I was recovering from surgery. All the other pigs froze to listen to the chirping one, and it went on for what seemed like forever (more than a minute). I have no idea what that means, and I'm not sure anybody else does either.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 am

I have a chirper, and while he doesn't do it constantly, it's often enough for me recognize his voice over bird chirps. My husband got to hear it for the first time in 4 years just the other night and asked me what it was. I have no idea what it means since as soon as I move it stops. Also, while I strongly suspect who it is (Peekaboo), I have yet to prove it one way or the other, as he's always had a cagemate. I have no idea why he does it, it's usually evening when it happens, but it does sound exactly like a bird chirp, possibly a little deeper.

The other sounds you've heard have been wonderfully explained by JX4.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:14 pm

It does sound very mysterious! I believe I have a recording of Nina on the site.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:44 pm

I have one that clacks at me, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing to make him so mad. It turns out that's his way of telling me we need to end lap time so he can potty. Every time he has clacked during lap time, he pees as soon as I put him back in his cage.

My favorite noise is the little bubbling noises they make when they are happy. Mine do it the most when they are exploring during floor time, or right after they get a clean cage.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Oh, I used to adore than noise. I think it's one of the happiest noises in the world!

JX4

Post   » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:07 pm

When Panda has to pee and I'm holding her, she will grab a piece of my clothing in her mouth and yank on it. Squeaky will kick at me with her hind leg. Several of them will just pee on the lap pad because it feels just like the lining of their cage.

CavyDad
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:26 pm

I agree with you Lynx. It's impossible not to smile when they make that noise.

Jx4 I have a couple of tuggers too. It's nice when they have such a clear way of communicating.