Charlie's Passing

pridding

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:36 am

Hello All,

I love guinea pigs, and around 6 years ago I purchased a pair of lovely fellas who were litter buddies from birth, called Stewie and Charlie. They were best of friends most of time apart from when Stewie (the dominant one) became frisky every few months :) Unfortunately Stewie passed away naturally around 2 years ago which was very sad and I was a bit worried if Charlie would be ok without his pal. He was fine, and has been very spoilt ever since with his big selection of foods and had become very demanding to be given his grass by rattling his cage with his teeth to make as much noise as possible even though he's just a little chap. Also, as he got older he just loved to come out for cuddles every night on his favorite blanket(s) for hours at a time. It was a perfect life.

About a year ago he became very poorly and was unable to eat as he wasn't able to close his mouth properly so the food just fell out. He lost lots of weight very quickly and the prognosis was not good; the vet sedated him and found growths behind his front teeth and over-grown back teeth. These were sorted out under anesthetic which is always a risk with small animals, but he recovered fantastically well from the operation and returned to normal completely and has been a veracious eater and happy soul ever since. The weekend before last, I noticed that although he was keen on his food he was unable to pull it into his mouth properly, although he was ok with was short grass and when other food was manually guided in. This was similar to what happened before, we went to the vets on last Thursday who found a small infection on the roof of his mouth and spurs on his back teeth. He again went under anesthetic which is actually the 3rd time in his life, and they removed the spurs. However this time, he struggled to come round from the anesthetic and was unstable when he eventually came home. He didn't look right and only ate little bits on top of the critical care feed he was having to try and get him eating again. He never did, and just became poorlier and poorlier and although he was given medication, it didn't help and he developed pneumonia during Friday and Saturday. By 4pm on Saturday he was unable to stand up, so there was no choice but to take him to be put to sleep as he was in distress; he was buried in my garden on Sunday evening with full ceremony and many tears.

I realize that many people won't understand it, but I am utterly heartbroken and the sense of grief is overwhelming and unlike anything I have ever experienced in my life. I also feel extremely guilty that had I not taken him to the vets, he may still have been alive although he had started to lose weight through not being able to eat properly last week.

I just wanted to share this on here with everyone to try and help my grieving and sadness.

Thank you

Paul (UK)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:09 am

Paul, I have tears in my eyes. What a wonderful tribute to Charlie. RIP wee one, forever young and in perfect health. Don't be sad for Charlie, he's reunited with Stewie, he's in a place where pain and illness can no longer cause problems for him. One day, you'll meet again. In time his memories will warm your heart instead of bringing tears.

Think of him laying next to Stewie, popcorning in paradise, cloud hopping and snuggling on the most comfy blankets, waiting for when you'll be reunited. Sending big hugs from the girls and me from Australia.

pridding

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:46 am

Daisymay - thank you so much for your kind words, I am trying to remain positive .. Paul x

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:26 am

pridding, I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost a wee one of my own just 2 weeks ago, so I have a good idea of what you're going through. Please know that although the sadness and guilt (quit beating yourself up, you did what you could) are quite strong now, they do ease. I'm still not able to smile at the memories, but I know that the time will come when I can. You have my sympathy. Rest in peace, little Charlie, you are loved and missed.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:40 am

Take comfort that he had a wonderful life with you and that he loved you and knew you did all you could for him and your love kept you both bonded right till the end and further.

pridding

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 am

GrannyJu1 - it is so nice to hear from people who understand what these delighful little animals mean, as not everyone does. I am a pretty tough, experienced I.T. Professional by trade but Charlie was a huge part of my life especially after Stewie died a couple of years ago. It was hard a little while ago today as I normally get all of Charlie's weekly food supply on a Tuesday when doing my own grocery shopping, but of course there was nothing to get today :( . Anyway, thank you for your kind thoughts and I am also very sorry to hear about you loss 2 weeks ago, I am sure you are still grieving so I appreciate you taking the trouble to respond.

Daisymay - thanks you again, he did have a fabulous long life and we managed to have a final cuddle before he died which seemed to calm him.

Paul xx

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 am

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, pridding. These little guinea pigs work their way into our hearts and it can be so heartbreaking to lose them.

pridding

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 am

Thank you Lynx, you are so right and please call me Paul :)

Classicalcavy

Post   » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:09 pm

I am so sorry. These little creatures leave a huge hole in our hearts when they leave us. Take comfort in knowing that Charlie and Stewie have been reunited at the Rainbow Bridge where they are running free.

pridding

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:27 am

Thank you very much, you are right ... still having a real struggle at the moment with huge waves of sadness. I can't wait to see the little chap again sometime.

groundbeef

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:47 pm

You have my deepest sympathies. We lost Big One suddenly and unexpectedly after only about a year, and it was heartbreaking. Until you've had one in your life, I don't think you can understand how attached you can become to "just a rodent".

pridding

Post   » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Thank you groundbeef, people's words on here mean the world to me. I agree with you completely, GP's have great characters and become family members and you just expect them to be there forever. I am sorry you lost Big One, especially after such a short time. Kindest Regards, Paul