Hay Cubes

bats

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:18 am

It´s wanton, Lynx.

My backyard consists of several decks, a basketball court, a small garden, and some plum trees that bombard us with purple droppings every July. Not a blade of grass whatsoever. On the other hand, my neighbor´s yard is the complete opposite: a jungle of bushes, flowers, and grass.

So every couple of days I drop a basketball over the fence and use that as an excuse to climb over the fence. And while I´m over there I swipe some grass.

I have no other use for that stupid basketball.
Last edited by bats on Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:06 am

LOL!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:24 pm

If you have a few square feet, I wholeheartedly recommend growing some wheat grass, and letting it get really wild. You can compost the bedding and poops (perhaps) or at least working it into the soil, and leave it there for a few weeks before trying the wheat grass. But it would be worth it. And you could even make it kind of arty looking, cutting designs into it as you go.

bats

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:38 pm

um, good suggestion. But being a city dweller, I have learned to dislike anything that cannot be grown in a planter and thrown away when it dies :-).

So I grow grass in an old dresser drawer and let the kids romp there. Honest. It´s a miniature farm. I´ll send you a picture and you can post it if you like.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:40 pm

A drawer? Yer kidding. You can post it here. I´m sure everyone is dying to see it.

bats

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:05 pm

ok, here´s the happy lawnmower (the late, great Ginger) enjoying last year´s crop :-) Sorry I didn´t get more of the drawer in to show everyone. I´ll take new ones later.
Last edited by bats on Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:13 pm

Okay y´all are still cracking me up. And wow... that is neat! Not something I could ever do with these kiddos- but still, very neat idea to grow the grass in a drawer! Don´t think I´ve ever heard of that before.

And LOL@no other use for the basketball. LOL

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:20 pm

OK Bats... you are offically "over the edge!" A true cavy slave indeed! Question for you guys about the wheat grass. I got some for my gils in a large flat. They LOVE it of course! When I brought it home, I just put it on the ground with them and let them have at it. They started to eat the little seeds and the roots too. I wasn´t sure if that was ok. So, I just gave the grass a cut and gave them the trimmings. I swear that stuff grows so fast! I can trim it in the AM and by the PM it has already grown all uneven. Amazing. Is it ok if they eat the seed base and the roots?

Kara and my grazers

aSAHMof3Rs

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:30 pm

Good question.. I only have wheat grass I bought at the store (called "pet grass" in a little container) and I have been cutting trimmings like you mentioned. I´d also love to know if she can eat the seed base and the roots also!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:37 pm

I´m sure they could eat everything but by giving them just the tops, you will keep things growing for a while and they will get more grass.

KarasKavies
For the love of my girls!

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:15 pm

That´s about what I figured. They sure were going crazy over the roots however! Maybe when this crop looks like it is heading south, I will give the whole tray to them to finish off.

bats

Post   » Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:33 pm

Wait wait wait... we´re talking about animals that have been taken out of the wild... raised in a cage... and given nylon burba carpet to roam on. And now you want to deprive them of the joy of ripping up grass and grazing like a cow? Look at that picture above! Tell me that´s not a happy puppy.

I say let them have the thrill of laying down on a lawn and pulling it up until their heart´s content.

Even if the grass is grown in a dresser drawer.
Last edited by bats on Tue Apr 23, 2002 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.