Is it okay for guinea pigs to go outside in grass?

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Sun May 03, 2009 6:42 pm

Mjfour-so if my dog were to eat rabbit poo...that could make him sick?
Not unless the rabbit has coccidia or intestinal parasites. Not sure if wild rabbits can carry it? I imagine so. But guinea pigs can carry things like that though not common.

GPs have a pretty natural diet. Shouldn't be harmful.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Sun May 03, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks....I am a hand poop picker uper. I wash my hands so much it isn't funny.

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Mon May 04, 2009 1:18 am

"Lots of members dogs eat the poop without issue."

Unless, of course, the dog wants to come lick you next.
Hey, that's between you and your dog. Not the pigs :)

mjfour

Post   » Wed May 06, 2009 11:22 pm

Yes, dogs can get sick if they eat rabbit feces. Especially wild rabbits. This is probably the most common way for your dog to get coccidia. But yes the rabbit would have to be a carrier of it for its feces to be harmful. The most common way a dog gets giardia is as a puppy, in cramped quarters with lots of other puppies (like a puppy mill).

Guineadaddy

Post   » Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Well if you did not want to dump it in the yard, I have seen it for sale on E-Bay as "Organic Fertilizer"

Fourboys4now

Post   » Thu May 07, 2009 3:19 am

Both of my dogs think fresh piggy beans are great appetizers. I have two separate c&c cages that are bottomless that I put my two cages of boys in to eat their grass.

My dogs love to push the cages in when I put the pigs up to eat the "fresh" beans. I have to get onto them when they try to start pushing the cage in while the piggies are still in them.

My dogs seem to just know not to use the bathroom in the area I put the cages in. I've been doing outside grass eating time since spring of last year and have not had any health issues arrise.

I also go outside and shake my fleece behind our front bushes. It's great fertilizer and free.

Kermie831

Post   » Thu May 07, 2009 3:40 am

Our dogs like guinea beans too. They have at times licked the back side of the pig, put their head side ways, look up the back of the pig, and then at the humans with a sort of, "So, uh, how do you turn the little fuzzy vending machine on?"

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 07, 2009 8:53 am

That is so funny, Kermie831.

codyNpatches
Supporter in '09 - '10

Post   » Mon May 11, 2009 11:01 am

Kermie!!!! That made my day! Hilarious!

GuineaPigMother

Post   » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Thank you all so much! I appreciate it. I have not been on in a long time but still, thanks so much.

TexCavy

Post   » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 pm

I just recently wrote an amusing take on a dog's piggie poo eating on someone's thread the other day. Where was that? ----- Oh yeah,
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 17#1685417

Pooline

Post   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 pm

I live in Louisiana though and it’s extremely hot and humid, so should I cover up half of their little play pen for shade and possibly hook up a fan to be blowing on them when they are outside???? I have three guinea pigs and I would like for them to have little time outside instead of being in their cage all the time.