Mysterious death

lisam

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:06 pm

This morning when I went to say "good morning" to the pigs, poor Padme was dead! Yesterday when I cleaned out the cages, she was a little more subdued than usual (if there could be such a thing--Padme was one of those pigs who was very quiet, and froze if you even looked at her), but appeared to be eating fine. She hasn´t lost any weight, in fact she was one of my biggest pigs. I am not sure how long she has been dead, but she was already stiff and cold. Poor Amidala, her cagemate, was lying beside her. We are very sad about it, and am trying to give Amidala lots of extra attention.

Evangeline

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:15 pm

I´m sorry. Sudden, unexpected deaths are the worse for owners, since you keep wondering what you´ve missed.

Are you going to have an autopsy performed on her?

I´m sorry for your loss.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:29 pm

That is so sad. I don´t think there are always things to catch. It had to have been hard to find her. I´m so sorry -- this was so sudden.

Dobby
I gave what I could!

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 3:55 pm

Oh, that´s so sad :( I feel so bad for you, and for your surviving piggy.
That must have been awful for her if she was just lying beside her.
Give her extra cuddles from me.

my2piggies

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:01 pm

So sorry to hear about Padme

Sonia

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:17 pm

Oh Lisam, I am so very sorry for your loss. I´m told that piggies can mask symptoms so well that sometimes it is impossible to know whether anything is wrong. I know Padme knew she was a well-loved member of your family. Give lots of hugs and snuggles to Amidala. My deepest sympathies to all your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Peace, Love, and Happiness, Always
Sonia

pinta

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 9:29 pm

How old was she? Heart attacks can lead to sudden death.

lisam

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:11 pm

That is my thought. She was a pet store pig, we never knew how old she was, but she had had at least a few litters before we got her (she was one they kept in the back and kept breeding back to back to sell the babies). We had her for a few years at least. She was so pretty--a butterscotch colored short haired girl.

One thing was unusual--when I discovered her this morning, she had this white liquid oozing out of her eyes. I had to quickly wipe it away before the kids saw her. They all had to give her last kisses and hugs. We had a very sweet funeral, and covered her grave with chickweed.

pinta

Post   » Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:31 pm

I suspect the white liquid was just the natural cleansing fluid from the eye. My guess anyway. I haven´t seen that occur with our pigs when they die but we haven´t found them cold and stiff either.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:47 am

How heartbreaking to have something like that happen. I am very sorry to hear about your loss but very glad that she was a part of your family for a few years after being used by that pet shop.

Carol

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2002 12:54 pm

Oh Lisam, I am so sorry to hear this. Since you don´t know the age, it might have been a natural time for her. But is still hurts to lose them.

Seansfamily

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2002 9:06 pm

Lisam, you, your children and Amidala have my sincere condolences about the loss of your beloved Padme.

May Padme rest in peace.