When to Change Fleece and Towels

Suisan

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 2:32 pm

No. Sorry LANDREWS, that's not going to work.

In my experience, you do not want the piece cut to fit the dimensions of the cage. You need Extra width and Extra length on the fleece so that you can either tuck it under the towels, or drpe it over the edges of the coroplast and then clip it there. Otherwise the pigs just burrow under the fleece or grab it in their teeth and rearrange.

I have long pieces off the bolt that work -- usually they are too wide for a 2 grid width, but I use the extra strip for my one cube width loft, or you can use it for corner blankets, cuddle pieces, etc.

I have also bought smaller pieces from the remnants pile in the fabric store and laid them out in the large cage. If there's a lot of overlap between pieces, it can work. Sometimes it doesn't, but then you just take that piece out and put in another that won't shift so much.

I have some purchased small baby blankets that I tend to scrunch up and use as hiding places in the corners of the cage. My girls love these. I don't tend to use the blankets all spread out as bedding, but I have in a pinch. I find that the fleece off the bolt is less stretchy than the pre-made blankets. I find it easier to sweep off the off-the-bolt fleece than the stretchy blanket fleece.

Good thing is, generally fleece is pretty inexpensive. (As long as you don't become obsessed. Heh. Heh.) So you can keep experimenting until you find what works for you.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 2:39 pm

LOL! Well it works for me.
I measured it including the 6" for the flaps when you cut the coroplast that way I could tuck it under the towels.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 2:40 pm

My guinea pigs have never rearranged it either simply because it's tucked under the towels..

Suisan

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 2:54 pm

OK. I see which dimension you're using now. Sorry about that. I apologize.

However, if you use a piece that is *exactly* the dimensions of the bottom of the cage, then the pigs will rearrange.

My girls did once manage to flip their entire fleece+towels pad completely upside down, and this was after my having boasted that my girls didn't burrow. So, never say never, you know? (By the way, my girls still don't burrow under the fleece, but they do every once in a while push the towels and fleece away from the edges of the cage to create mounds in the center when they are feeling creative.)

bandi09

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 3:01 pm

Landrews - Okay, I was a little confused to. I thought you meant just measure the inside of the cage. I see. So basically (since I am not building my cage until I move) more is better, I can always cut it later. I will check out that link, I at least want two , becasue who knows how long it will take me to find a fabric store in my new town.

Suisan - I can see how one could be obsessed... Spring fleece, summer fleece, 4th of July fleece, ahhhhhh! I will need a bigger house and a second job.

LANDREWS

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Oh, sorry guys! Sometimes I understand what I'm saying but I don't get it out to match what I'm thinking haha.. ya know what I mean?!

When I measured my C&C I automatically skipped everything until it told me to add the 6" dimensions so those are the dimensions I always went by.

Yes, more is better..

My boys will probably feel adventerous and rearrange their cage at some point ;-)

rshevin

Post   » Fri May 30, 2008 7:04 pm

1 yard of fleece will be just enough for a 2 grid by 4 grid cage. You put it down sideways, with the 60" width going the long way down the cage. This works better with solids than directional patterns.

Char-x

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 10:41 am

I have two pigs in a 7x4 cage and I clean their poops out once a day and change high pee areas whenever I feel the surface of the fleece is getting a bit of damp feel, this is usually once a week or once every two weeks depending on how much they have choosen to use it.

Then once a month everything is taken out regardless and only the really clean fleeces that have been barely use are put back in, everything thats got a poo stain, smell or slight dampness anywhere is washed and changed. Can I just say that my cage isn't disgusting in the slightest being left this long since I do do spot checks etc with urine areas, and I think the size of the cage with two pigs if efficient for me to be able to do this.

For a 2x4 though I reckon I would have to change that every three days aprox.

Feylin

Post   » Sat May 31, 2008 1:27 pm

Woah. 7x4? That's HUGE! Can we see? That's such a palace for only 2 pigs.

If you had that much space, you could change it every month!

Jasmaya

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:48 am

I have one last question for this thread... I have bought some fleece and am reusing some old towels that have been sitting in the cupboard (yay)! When cleaning up the poops my vacuum seems to suck up the fleece at the same time :( So I was wondering if a hand vacuum is a better option, and if so... is there a particular model anyone would recommend? I was looking at one of those Dirt Devil Kone's - they look good, just not sure if they will suit the purpose as they don't seem to have a hi and low function.

rshevin

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:00 pm

The fleece will always get somewhat sucked up in the vacuum. Less powerful hand models do help. Having heavy things in the corners help too, as will other methods of holding the fleece firmly down. That's why I prefer the pan and brush for regular cleaning. I use the dustbuster roughly every other day to get up crumbs and such. My mom was shopping these a while back and said that while the Kone looks spiffy, it was really low power. It also looks like it has a pretty small collection bin. I'd go with a regular model.

Jasmaya

Post   » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:51 pm

Sounds good, thanks for the advice!