Using mirtazapine to increase appetite?

Zalida

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:39 pm

Mirtazapine (human antidepressant drug) is used to increase appetite in dogs and cats, have you ever heard this been used to guinea pigs? Or could someone ask this from reliable US/UK piggie vet?

It's often very effective, animals suffering anorexia and/or total lack of appetite, start eating very well after low doses of mirtazapine.

I'm just wondering if this could be useful to sick piggies too.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:44 pm

It certainly has that effect on humans--I put on about 35 pounds.

It might make them more lazy and sleepy though.

Zalida

Post   » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:47 pm

"It might make them more lazy and sleepy though. "

That's true, but rather sleepy piggie than a starving piggie ;)
Dogs are dosed usually once a day, cats only twice a week with very little dose (1/8 or 1/4 from 15mg tablet).

I'm very interested to know if this could be used in guinea pigs.

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:33 am

I know this is old, but I'm raising it, again, because I have the same problem. A piggy that won't eat. I've about given up hope. She is too young. She is only 4 going on 5.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:28 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/anorexia.html
Diazepam (given intravenously, intramuscularly, or by mouth according to Harkness and Wagner) is one of several drugs that can be used to stimulate the appetite. Diazepam (also known as Valium) can encourage eating within a few minutes and will last up to a half hour but also causes sedation and ataxia [loss of coordination of the muscles, especially of the extremities].

Cyproheptadine (Peri-Actin 4mg - 1/8 pill, twice a day) has been used as an appetite booster by some vets.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 am

Do you have any thoughts about why she will not eat?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:50 pm

Ditto mmeadow. What does your vet think? Have the teeth been examined?

Shanna
Supporter in '19

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:21 pm

We think it was the use of Flagyl, which she is finished with now and it seems that her appetite is finally picking back up. I would sure appreciate positive thoughts and prayers! Thank you for the recommendations. I will pass them on to my vet.