For all you Brownie fans

KTcanes

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:54 am

Brownie reminds me of a mini capybara!

Fossil Barb

Post   » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:03 pm

He looks wonderful. You both do good work!

SavingBrownie

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:32 am

Hi! I just wanted to update a little about Brownie because he's doing so well. We went to the vet this past weekend (more about that later) and he has gained over a pound since I first brought him in!! The office staff was all excited and called him a miracle piggy. The first time I brought him in in October, they tried to convince me to put him to sleep since he was such a mess. But now he's doing so great.

He weighs 2 lbs, 4 oz. and he zooms around the apartment and begs for food from everyone who passes by. When we're studying in the living room and he's in his cage, he runs to whichever side of the cage we're closest to and makes a scene so we'll give him attention. He gives me cute piggy kisses and tries to nibble my nose. He's just so cute.

The only medical problem he still has is that his incisors don't line up properly. This is probably because he had a fracture there before, so even though the fracture has grown out, his incisors will never grow in completely normally. The vet checked it out and made sure he doesn't have an abcess there or anything. I just have to keep an eye on his incisors so I can take care of them when they overgrow. At least that's better than when his molars were overgrowing, though.

I've started thinking about possibly getting him a friend but there's so many obstacles. I'd have to move out of the dorms, which I wouldn't be able to do until the summer. There's the money issue, but I just got a job so that might not be a big deal. But also, Brownie is really antisocial when it comes to other pigs. I wonder if that's something he can overcome. When he was at ChelesGP's his cage was in the middle of the other 25 pigs and he ignored them the entire time. He wouldn't interact with any of the spayed girls--he just ran away. Could he learn to get along with another pig?

Thanks so much for all your help, you guys. I don't know where we'd be without you.

TwoWhitePiggies

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:55 am

What exciting news! I'm so glad he's doing well!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:39 am

A few pigs are just people pigs. He may be happy being an only pig.

Fossil Barb

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:29 am

Glad Brownie is doing so well but look at the care and love he's gotten.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:36 am

Wonderful news - can you post before and after photos?

Pooka and Pixie

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:44 am

I'm so glad Brownie is doing great!

Pics, please!

rshevin

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:49 am

Oh I'm so glad he's doing well! Keep up the good work. Pinta has a lot of experience with tooth issues and actually thinks that Brownie's incisors may be less of a problem than you think.

He does seem like a real people pig. I think we all understand your obsticales (sp) towards getting another pig. You certainly weren't expecting to have even one! I can't imagine keeping a pig, never the less 2, in my tiny college dorms.

Give him some love and kisses from me and the rest of GL.

crazycheryl

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:59 am

I'm just so proud for you and little (big?!) Brownie! It really brought a mist to my eyes to imagine him zooming around the floor and having fun. He was way past due for some fun and love in his life.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:39 pm

"Could he learn to get along with another pig?"

Mumble. Maybe, and maybe not, and maybe not necessary. As Lynx mentions, some pigs are people pigs and do just fine solo, as long as they have plenty of good care, husbandry, time and attention, which Brownie obviously does. We've had several like that.

After all, he does have a herd of females to look after -- that is, you and your housemates. You are his herd!

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:44 pm

It is so nice and encouraging to hear that littel Brownie is doing so well.
And as getting along goes.... maybe/maybe not.
God knows I have a piggy here who can't tolerate another piggy's mere existence.