Basil leaves?

Vanessa

Post   » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:24 am

Just tried out basil with two of my pigs . . .

My peruvian vacuum cleaner Romeo ate it all up, like he hadn't seen veggies in weeks (they get veggies twice a day).

My finicky skinny pig Gerry dragged some over to his pigloo, but didn't end up eating it. He looked at me like "this isn't parsley, slave".

Go figure.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:07 pm

I'm told some piggies like catnip, which is a form of mint.

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:32 pm

I like to feed the piggers the Keifer lime leaves and lemon grass... then snuggle them up for a nice Thai piggie whiffing experience.

JaneDoe

Post   » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:39 pm

I never tried that, but I noticed parsley or celery made them smell good...

caspertheghost

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:34 pm

My pigs LOVE Basil.

mech

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:11 am

I found some dried chamomille and let the piggies have some and they thought it was wonderful.

I bought some pesto one time. I had heard that it was great, however, I had no idea that the kind made with pine nuts tasted like Christmas trees, or what I would think they would taste like. I couldn't get that taste out of my mouth fast enough.

CloudandShadow

Post   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am

Yes they can! My three piggies would kill for basil, they go crazy whenever they smell it. I only feed it to them 1-2 times a week, though, and when I do I only give them 2 or 3 leaves

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 am

All herbs are pretty high in calcium, and should only be given as treats, or as supplements to young pups who are being fed timothy hay and pellets.

Kimera

Post   » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:38 am

If the herb is edible for humans, it is good for guinea pigs. I don't count chives and green onions as "herbs". Cavies shouldn't eat them.