Wheat Thins anyone????

cavyravy

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:09 am

Thankfully, they are shy when any other humans are around or they'd likely embarrass me to death when I've got company.

Lucky you, mine do it when company is around, and I have no choice but to feed them. I don't want anybody accusing me of animal neglect.

Pigglies

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:15 am

When I brought 2 of my pigs to class last week for a presentation, I told everyone in the group, "Please DO NOT touch the plastic bags while you are talking or the girls will wheek at you." They didn't really start wheeking a lot until the end of our presentation luckily. And when they did wheek it was at perfect parts during the presentation... with the exception of the question and answer section I guess.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:46 pm

Yep, Elliot does the "They STARVE me to DEATH" wheek every time he hears a bag rattle. And lately, he's been doing it every time anybody walks by-- begging for those Oxbow Cranberry treats that he just got introduced to. My parents were here this weekend to help me with moving/unpacking and my dad kept saying "Go feed your guinea pig, he's starving to death! Listen to him cry!" I had to assure him about five dozen times that I really WASN'T starving him to death and that he really DID have food and water.

angelshelper81

Post   » Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:24 pm

Oh no...we're not supposed to feed them plastic bags??

My boys think they're supposed to eat plastic bags, and also paper. Either that or they're trying to get me to stop leaving stuff on their floor.

Mizema

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:53 am

My pig twister once jumped into my cat's litter box and was eating the biodegradable wheat litter! I freaked out and moved the litter but for weeks after, he'd try to find a crumb!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:00 pm

My husband found a “New Owner’s Guide to Guinea Pigs” book at a thrift store. It was published in 1997. A couple of veterinarians are listed in the acknowledgments, and the ASPCA gave it a seal of approval. Some of the health tips include providing salt licks and placing dog bisquits on the floor so they don’t chew furniture during floor time. The dog bisquits are also supposed to help keep their teeth healthy. DON’T DO THIS! Just had to share how much things can change in a short time.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Wow! That is some wacky book!

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:13 am

I must be a bad guinea pig momma. None of my 3 wheek at the sound of grocery bags. In fact they don't wheek much at all.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:00 am

Pigjes has taught her pigs not to wheek for food.

So you must have wonderful guinea pigs :-)

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:24 am

I'd so much rather hear more than an occasional wheek! They do a very little wheeking when I walk in with the food, but it doesn't last for long, only until I open the cage.

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 pm

I get a chorus of wheeks if I rustle anything (Paper bags, Plastic bags, Chip bags, etc no matter what they contain) or even open the refrigerator door. Chunkita (Chunky) was wheeking hard last night when she saw me with a chicken pot pie. I get the biggest wheekout when they see me with a tray of wheatgrass (Wheekgrass) though.

I have enough trouble trying to get the wife and daughter to go easy on the fruit and calcium heavy stuff. Thankfully they dont give them any people food although they sometimes joke about doing i because they know it freaks me out.

I am usually on my hands and knees with the dustpan and brush sweeping up any crumbs dropped on the floor before I let them out for floor time, I am that paranoid about them eating the wrong stuff. I am not sure that the wife and daughter are as diligent.