Buy another one?

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:53 pm

Should i buy another one? I currently have one abd i´mstill having trouble of it not coming out of his lil shed. Please help me!

imanut4u

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:55 pm

Go get the naked one at the SPCA -- thread in cavy placement

Jill

Post   » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:19 pm

If you get another one, just be sure it is the same sex as the one you have so there won´t be any babies.

bats

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:23 am

And to make yours more friendly, make sure you spend a lot of time handling your pig... and hand feed them little bits at a time. You might even try rustling a bag when you are trying to call them out of their house. Your pig will associate you with food and nice things.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:25 pm

Patience Kelvin, patience. It will take Chuffey some time to get used to you.

I think getting him a friend is a great idea, but you will need a bigger cage.

Sunny

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:26 pm

Make sure when you hold Chuffey that you always handle him very gently. And hold him against your body to make him feel safe (not dangling in the air or at the edge of your lap).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:31 pm

And I don´t want to sound too discouraging, but my first two pigs took a very long time to get used to me. They were older, and that might have had something to do with it, but they were never pigs that enjoy being held. You have a young one and with care and gentleness will surely win him over.

Chuffeythegp

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:06 pm

How long? My pig gets out of his lil house just to eat and he scurrys back in. I tried changing his old messed up shoe box with a nicer shoebox(weird eh?) and he keeps knawing at it. is that normal?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:39 pm

They love to knaw. Do you have timothy hay available to him all the time? This is their favorite and is one of the most important parts of the diet. He might find the cardboard less interesting with lots of fresh hay (I add fresh hay daily).

Sunny

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:32 am

Kelvin, it could take days, weeks, even months. Every animal is different. Just be patient and sweet to Chuffey and he´ll be sure to come around. I know it´s hard because you want to play with him, interact, and bond... but give him some time.

It´s very normal to chew on cardboard. Again, make sure he´s got hay. However, my Fido chews up his cardboard house even if he´s got hay.

Good luck!

pinta

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:51 pm

It does depend on the pig. Ferdinand trusted me immediately. Others still think I want to add them to the stewpot.

Sunny

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2002 4:03 pm

well you do, don´t you? Miss "evil and dreaded..."