Tummy Troubles

samim21

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi once again,

Another day, another piggie problem...

So, my new guinea pig, Nugget, (3y/o. F) seems to have some diarrhea (?) and I'm not 100% sure how to proceed. She has long, soft poops and is definitely straining a bit when she poos. She seems ok otherwise, but is eating a little less. Last week she didn't eat a ton of hay, so that might have throw off her tummy (I think I got a batch of hay neither of my pigs likes, but they seem to be eating the new stuff I got.) I think maybe too little hay/too much veg last week might be the issue. I am planning on weighing her every day this week and cutting out vegetables.

I have a vet appointment for her on Tuesday, but I am hoping it will clear up by then.

Any other thoughts on how to make her more comfy would be good!

Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Hay is by far more important to her than vegetables. It's got protein in it, and it keeps the gut moving and the teeth ground down. Limit vegetables to no more than a cup, and cut them out altogether until her poop firms up. If it doesn't, it's time to see a vet.

samim21

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Yeah, I'd been giving her about a cup, but I'm betting because she just didn't like the last batch of hay, it messed up her tum :(

I'll cut out the veg for now. I've been giving her some extra fresh timothy hay as well, since she is a little more willing to munch on it than her new bagged stuff.

I wish there was a guinea pig equivalent to tums to make her feel better more quickly...I hate seeing her uncomfy :(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:46 pm

samim21

Post   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:12 pm

Yep. I also ended up bringing her to the vet today because she seemed so uncomfy. She's ok for now, and I was given some probiotics to give her. We have an appt with her regular vet on tuesday as well. She was also given an anti inflammatory for discomfort relief and some fluids.

I just feel bad she's uncomfortable. But she's eating a little more hay after the vet visit, so that's good. And its not compaction or anything like that. Sent in a stool sample for bacterial testing too.

Poor piggie...Hoping she's feeling a little better before Tuesday...

samim21

Post   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Looks like Nugget is on the mend! She's absolutely f u r i o u s that she isn't getting any veggies at the moment, but she's definitely looking healthier overall!!