Unhappy Pig

xtina0926

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 4:47 pm

Hello,

Around last August I adopted my pig, Coco. We didn't know at the time that she was pregnant and around October she had 3 healthy pups. We kept them all and fixed the boar, they live together. It's just that Coco seems to be really unhappy, I never see her popcorn anymore. She used to run around and play during floor time now she never leaves the huts we have in the cage(Unless to eat or drink). She will come out briefly during floor time, then run back into the cage. There is nothing wrong with her, Coco is a healthy pig according to the vet. She will purr when I sit with her one-on-one and she seems happy then, but never in the cage. She seemed happier pregnant.

I am new to owning guinea pigs, is there anything I could be doing wrong? They have plenty of space, the length of the cage is 9 ft and the width is 3 ft. I monitor their food and water intake, we thought she may be bloated but that wasn't the answer. Now I'm thinking that maybe we should separate her from the rest or get a new cage mate for her? Maybe shes just a mellow pig? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 pm

Do you weigh all your guinea pigs weekly to keep track of their health? How about remove the huts and try some creative draped corners or open sided stools so she can't isolate herself so much. There are some great ideas for creating interesting cages at www.guineapigcages.com

JX4

Post   » Wed May 23, 2018 12:03 pm

I wouldn't house separately if you don't absolutely need to, because she would probably be lonely. My parent pigs have mellowed with age, the "babies" too. They are 3.5 and 3 years respectively now, so solidly middle age. They don't popcorn much anymore, but they do like to be held and petted, they snuggle with us, and they do run about the cage.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 pm

It sounds to me like she’s just aging. Some of my pigs popcorned and did zoomies as they aged, others stopped at around a year or so. It’s probably just her personality. I’d not worry about it if she’s not displaying any signs of illness.

xtina0926

Post   » Wed May 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks for the replies,
They are weighed weekly, and I will try removing the huts. Designing a new creative cage is now on my list of things to do. I also don't wanna separate them, that would be our last resort. I guess she is just aging. Again, thanks for the replies guys. My mind is now at ease. I'll continue to keep my eye on her!