Hello! Newbie. Feeding bowl question...

k8c

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi, all.

We have two guinea pigs that had been abandoned outside a PetSmart. The mama and baby (who was much bigger than we thought...) were very welcome after our last piggie passed away. These piggies have needed a lot of slow, gentle socialization, but they're much happier and less skittish now.

I can't figure out what kind of feeding bowl to use! They scatter their food. They use their food bowl for a toilet. :o We've tried different ceramic bowls. But, if it's deep enough for them to not scatter, then it's too deep for them to eat. We didn't have this issue with our last piggie, and are looking for suggestions.

And...by way of introduction...here are Daisy (the black and white baby) and Dream enjoying some supervised time outside:

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Stay Bowls are nice -- the pigs can't turn them over. But all bowls can be pooped and peed in.

Sunset_Piggy

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 pm

You're Piggy's are lucky to have been token in if it makes you feel any better their has never been a day when the Bowl is clean of poop at all for me!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:46 pm

They are lucky! I used to use a small, heavy, ceramic bowl. It seemed to work fine. Having a really big cage helps cut down on the pooping in the bowl.

Sunset_Piggy

Post   » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 pm

The thing I hate the worst is when my Guinea Pig get's bedding in the bowl It's annoying. After I expanded my Piggy usually hangs out closer to the Log

WICharlie

Post   » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:27 am

Hello and welcome. I see that you planted some grass in a swimming pool for them. What a clever idea! I do have to inquire, is the cage top part of their regular cage? If so, it is too small a living space. Check out guineapigcages.com

They MAY stop using the food bowl for a bathroom if they have plenty of space to run around. They get hay as well as pellets, yes? Most pigs will poo and pee in their hay as they hang out there while eating.

JX4

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:58 am

I have a large cage and still there is never a day when one or two poop pellets don't appear in the bowl. I just dump it when I feed them their pellets. It's not a big deal.

I had a pig that liked to dump his bowl of pellets. I just got a heavier, low to the ground ceramic bowl and that stopped.

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:44 am

I use a medium size melamine bowl for the pigs, as they clean well in a dishwasher. When I have bowl flippers, I surround the bowl with concrete tiles, which reduce nail clipping sessions, and prevent tipping. Those tiles end up in the dishwasher as well, by the way, on hottest temp, with the bowls. Floopy was a female rex and she was able to flip all heavy ceramic dog bowls even! They won't poop in the bowl in a large cage, unless they are still babies.

k8c

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 am

Well, it's good to know they're not the only piggies who do this! One is still a baby, so maybe that's part of it. ???

They get hay, pellets and fresh veggies/fruit daily. They LOVE hay, like their pellets, and are pretty disinterested in the fresh veggies. Our last piggie LOVED fresh veggies! I'm hoping they come around and keep offering it.

That is a cage top that we use for outside time. (And, that's not the whole cage top in the photo. The long side is as long as the wading pool.) The smaller space makes it easier for us to collect them when it's time to go in as they are still being socialized. They have a bigger inside cage.

Thanks all! :)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:07 pm

They won't poop in the bowl in a large cage, unless they are still babies.
Wrong! I have two pigs in a 16+ square foot cage, and they drag their hideys over the pellet bowl and poop in it.

JX4

Post   » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Me too, bpatters!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 am

I like those Stay Bowls. They're easy to clean and don't tip. Mainly I use stainless steel, though.