Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:35 pm

I was scared to click on this thread but I'm glad I did. Good news and great work from you guys.

pinta

Post   » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:54 am

I'll bet it was the Baytril causing him imappetance. The swollen paws could be related to the heart. Is he on heart meds yet? I wonder if some of the swelling is fluid that lasix would help.

Once the paw is more healed you could try a pressure bandage to mimic support hose. I've reduced swelling this way on a few heart pigs' feet.

We've had excellent results from using Fortekor and vetmedin(?) concurrently.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:29 pm

He has no appreciable edema anywhere in the rest of his body--either upon physical exam or rads. While I would like to ECHO his heart, I really don't think I should start him on diuretics or other heart stuff right now. He has no ascultable murmur (not that it means he doesn't have a murmur).

He's gaining weight. Up to about 1010g last night. I am worried about the disk stuff. Still hopping. Way too busy at work on Friday to get the radiologist to consult on his rads. I put him back on meloxicam and no problems thus far. I do suspect the Baytril as his problem. I will probably get him on SMZ-TMP next. Onward and upward, I hope.

pinta

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:06 pm

Any animal physios in your area? Cynthia has worked wonders on my arthritic pigs with laser treatments and is using a pulsating laser to try and get rid of calcium deposits in Arthur's knees. The space that's supposed to be empty for bending is completely taken up with calcium.

Sounds like laser treatment could help with the disk.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:44 pm

Don't think so. At least not reputable ones. There are acupuncturists within 30-60 min drive. I'm going to ask the radiologist if that looks like disease or positioning.

amy m guinea

Post   » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:41 pm

Josephine, thank you so much for posting the great pics. His feet look so much better and he looks so sweet. You make such a difference!

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:31 am

I am always afraid of the news when I see updates to this thread, but I am glad I checked this AM, sounds like good news. I am glad he is in such excellent care, Thank you both for all you have done for this adorable little one.

patchsmummy

Post   » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:05 am

That's a bad case of neglect, I have never seen anything like that in my life, any news on the wee chap? I hope his feet are getting better? I mean to see open sores the size of a 5p peice on his front paws is dispicable, I hope that teacher is punted from her job and charged with criminal neglect! Oh it makes my blood boil!!!

luvmypigs2

Post   » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:50 pm

How is the little guy doing?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:23 am

The little guy's feet are coming along. ALMOST have the worst foot completely healed. Now, to work on that edema!

The weight is an unstable thing. Down to 960 grams, up to 1000 grams, down again, up again, and so on. All about the 1000 gram mark. He's way too thin. At least his haircoat looks better. Most of the rump at least has new hair growth.

I'm going to Oroville this week and hope to get some updated pics. We're hanging in there, in any case. He still has a good appetite and plenty of poops I have to empty from his pouch a couple of times per day. I can't wait to get him out of the quarantine room so he can chat with my other pigs.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:20 am

That is so good about Nelson, you aall are doing such a wonderful job! How is little Hope doing?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:19 am

I'll bet he will love being around other pigs and it will make a big difference for his recovery.