Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

Tammy

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:32 pm

You're amazing Leah.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:33 am

He's on his way to Josephine later this morning. Leah dropped him off last night. His foot is already showing improvement. Leah shed a few tears when she left. He really tugs at your heart.

He is such a sweet people pig. Between him and Nelson, I just can't fathom how anyone could treat such sweet animals in such a cruel way. They are both pigs that crave human interaction.

Maybe because they have known torture that the big scary hand holds no fear after that?

whittibo

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:17 am

Ah, he sounds so sweet! I am so glad he found his way to you guys.

tbull78

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:22 am

leebee, you are wonderful. This little guy was so lucky that you were able to save him from anymore pain in the situation that he was in. I hope everything works out for the best and he doesn't have to suffer anymore. I hate to think that an educator can abuse an inncocent animal with children at an educational setting and be allowed to get away with it with no recourse.

amy m guinea

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:28 am

All I can say is I'm so in awe of Leah, Julian, Josephine and all the rest who do so much to help these guys. You people keep up my faith in the human race, and that means alot to us as people, as well as the piggies who now have a chance to be healthy and happy :)

Piggster

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:47 am

Glad to hear his feet are getting better.

I second that amy m guinea, as I have so little faith in the human race as well. I prefer my piggies to most humans.

Josephine thanks so much for taking him and Leah for caring for him up until now. You guys rock!

slfalzone

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:14 pm

Wow - i don't know how I missed this thread. I guess I'm just always on the Emergency forum. This kind of neglect must just be the norm for classroom pigs I think. my little Teddy is an ex-classroom pigy and THANKFULLY after talking with the school they have decided no more animals! Even though it's less about concern for the pigs and more for expense, as long as they are not there any more, I'm a happy girl! Poor little pigs. They are considered disposable by almost everybody I've spoken to and it makes me so *%$#*angry. Thank God for the kindness of people like those on this website. We're waging a war here people against ignorance, cruelty and neglect! And unfortunately there seems to be an abundance of it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:50 pm

He does indeed sound like a honey. I will be looking forward to updates. I think Leebee, Josephine, and Julian are great!

Lisser

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:27 pm

I work in a school, I am not a Teacher, but a Social Worker. We are not allowed to have classroom animals either. However, I am allowed to bring in my babies if I want. I have a 3x3 C&C in my office for them when they come to work with momma, but they go home with me at the end of the work day. They do not stay overnight here (I'm at work, shhh!!!). They sleep under the same roof that I do.

The reason that the teachers here are not allowed classroom animals is exactly what someone else said, there is no time to tend to them. Classroom time is for instruction and nothing else. Our Administration knows this and will not allow the teachers to have pets.

I have gotten all but 1 of my piggies from other teachers in the district or out of the district who have teacher friends in my district; who no longer want to deal with their pigs. I guess the newness wears off. Everyone I work with knows that I can't say no to an abandoned GP. I was supposed to get another one today, but that has been put off until Monday by the owner.

No classroom animals. Take a trip to the Zoo if you want your students to see animals.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:41 pm

The swap went off flawlessly. Thank you Leebee and Julian!!! He is such a love. I am worried about multiple issues (as usual) and we'll know more with time and a few diagnostics I'm going to be running next week.

He is such an inquisitive pig! He uses his mouth to try out everything: chewing the fleece, licking and chewing the coroplast, etc. SOOOOO sweet. Even though he has a few serious issues, his personality shines through.

I gave him a bowl of Critical Care (since I have no pellets in the house anymore) and he immediately chowed down. Good news. He seems to eat hay fairly well and veggies. His lower incisors seem long to me, though. He definitely hops and is still itchy from the mites.

chocolates mom

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:25 pm

Has he started to gain weight?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:32 pm

I dunno about the weight. I'm waiting to hear from Leebee.
He's really thin, though.

I have to add a subscript on the exchange. We met just down the street from my Great-Great Aunt's home (I think that's the relation. She's my Great-Great Grandmother's half-brother's wife). So Julian and I were chatting and checking out pigs and such in the Safeway parking lot in downtown Walnut Creek. This lady and her young daughter were watching and she approached us as we were finishing up. "Are you guys cavy rescue?" How funny. Apparently she had previously owned cavies and now had rats. Julian educated her on the good exotics vets in the area. Amazing how someone off the street would see our covert pig-swap and know what was going on!