Mange and Severe Pododermatitis

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:33 pm

I'm so glad he is in the right hands now. I don't know how you guys do it when the neglected cases keep coming and coming. Do you know what grade this class was? Unless it was 1st grade, I am shocked that no one from that classroom or school took action sooner.

leebee

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:43 pm

I really want to say thank you to all the awesome people who sent in donations, and to everyone else who is pulling for him. I am awfully emotional about this little guy, and your kind thoughts and very generous donations are so much appreciated, more than you could know.

Holly, I'm just frustrated to see an animal in such condition. I know that most teachers are great, caring people who would not do this to an animal for anything. You, Becky, my sister and I know there are others that I'm forgetting are all prime examples of how great teachers are. I'd really like to get school systems to stop allowing animals in classrooms, honestly. There isn't enough time for them anymore with the immense amount of pressure that NCLB has placed on you. I'm not against teachers, but I sure do hate to think of the little guy sitting there day in and day out in so much pain. I may not want to see him/her arrested in front of their students, but I wouldn't mind an ACO giving a talk to the class, and seeing him/her do community service & pay for his vet bills if convicted.

Pinta, thanks for your thoughts. I'll leave it alone until someone more qualified can do that. I don't feel competent enough to take that on, and I don't want to hurt him anymore. If something soaks off, I'll be happy.

I spoke to my vet today as well as Josephine. We are going to continue with the soaking and the antibiotics and pain meds for a little while to see how he heals. We'll get him x-rayed soon to see any bone damage. Josephine may foster him for us, also. I trust her experience more than mine. We're hoping to be able to save his foot, but if not, we'll have it amputated and I think he'll adjust well.

He's been sleeping a lot today, which is understandable. He's still got a great appetite, and I'll get him out soon for his soak. I bought some dandelion greens for him today, I know he'll be thrilled.

Lynx, feel free to use the photos.

leebee

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:46 pm

His paperwork said "was a class pet for elementary school-age children". Whether that was first grade or fourth grade, I don't know.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:59 pm

I didn't say you were against teachers leebee. I don't know where you got that from my posts. I'm as disgusted as you. I just don't believe children would learn from seeing their teacher arrested. It would scare them and they are not at fault for this nor should they be punished. Chances are they would feel an incredible amount of guilt and no child should be hung with that handle. I'm not a 'scare the kids straight' kind of teacher.

====
edited the rest. Broken record syndrome. Not here to change minds. Thanks for taking the pig although your load is already great.

leebee

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:23 pm

I guess we just differ on opinions. I think an ACO chat with them is a good idea. It doesn't have to be accusatory, but educational. Either way, I'm also glad the pig is safe and healing.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:25 pm

I should have known he'd have his own thread by now!

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:29 pm

Invite the parents too leebee. None of them spoke up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:30 pm

Thanks, leebee. Now all I have to do is remember to add it.

Julian
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:36 pm

Josephine,

If you could take him in to foster, that would be awesome. He was scheduled to come here next week. I truly have my hands full with Nelson and Hope but I couldn't turn him away when Leah called.

skooters mommy

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:52 am

Those pictures make me sick to my stomach. People are such idiots. You are wonderful for helping the poor little guy.

monikers
By the Cavy Cosmos!

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:04 am

After reading two pages of posts after looking at the photos, I still sit here with my mouth hanging open!! Best of luck with this little guy, and with edumacating the ignorant hordes. I feel your pain.

Becky

Post   » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:15 pm

I do think that if the school is going to allow animals in the classrooms, they should be held accountable for their care as well.

This, really, is at the heart of the matter. There are good teachers and bad teachers. Any human being, teacher or not, that would first, allow this type of suffering in a living creature, and second, "dispose" of the animal instead of caring for it, is not a very good person. Period. The fact that this person happens to abuse their animal in a school setting just makes it that much sadder.

So, yes, the teacher is culpable, but so is the administration for allowing this to happen. Any administrator (busy as they are) that allows animals but doesn't check on their welfare, also deserves some measure of culpability.

But ultimately, if we're in the business of education (and we are--it's the reason this board is here), then getting the word out means getting to the parents in a school. I've said this a million times. It's the parents that yield the most power in making these types of changes.

I'd like to see each and every person on this board with schoo-aged kids to print out the pictures of this pig, along with reasonable information (that is, nothing inflammatory--the pictures really express this the best), and take it to their school just as a heads-up on what can happen when there are animals in the classroom. Then, go to your district office and demmand that animals not be allowed in elementary classrooms anywhere in the district. Again, be armed with reasonable information. Don't be mad. Be informed.

I know nothing about starting up legislation, but it may be time to look into it.