Common Mistakes in Treating Sick Cavies

pinta

Post   » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:58 pm

GI Disturbance – constipation, diarrhea, bloat

I don't think pigs actually get constipated - they may have no droppings coming out but I think that would be because there are none to come out not because they are "backed up".

You don't usually see diarrhea and "Bloat" at the same time. Bloat as we use it on this board is more descriptive than an actual term for a medical problem. We say pigs with gassy distended tummies are "Bloat" pigs. Actual "Bloat" is correlated with gastric torsion which can also happen in pigs but it is much rarer in occurence than GI motility problems.

However, untreated pigs with gassy distended stomachs due to GI motility problems usually don't survive. The key to recovery is immediate action.

This section just may need rewording to avoid confusion.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:04 pm

If you want to edit any of the info, just email me, Charybdis, and I'll make any changes.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:59 pm

CharmeC adds:

I would like to suggest this addition to the GI Disturbance constipation, diarrhea, bloat section based on my own experience:

A persisting diarrhea may be caused by tumor in the reproductive system, an X-ray or even ultrasonic should be done in order to catch the tumor early.