Becky's Diet

Teresa

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:22 pm

https://www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

As I get a more aging population, I'm beginning to question the standard diet that many of follow, romaine, dandelion greens, carrot, apple, parsley, etc.

Jackie said she's been following Becky's diet and hasn't had any related health issues.

I'm thinking that maybe this should be a more promoted diet. And if so, I'd like to summarize it with more an easier plan for shopping and feeding. I know I could never actually plan for what veggies to feed at what times on what days.

I like the idea of an A, B & C list. A is virtually daily. B is rotated in or added frequently. C is occasionally.

Thoughts?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:31 pm

I think different approaches are useful for different people. For me an emphasis on hay and fresh grass, good quality pellets, a few faves and everything in moderation seems to work fine.
www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html#fave

Avoiding corn products and going very light on the fruits is a good idea.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:58 pm

I've done a pretty standard list for over a year with Shakes and Pepper and never had a problem.*knocks on wood*.
Since produce isn't always the best from week to week we do alot of food rotating here for variety but not so much daily as Becky's.
Plus I give less per veggie then the sample listed but add more variety of veggies, so equals out.

None of the other pigs have shown problems other then gas to certian foods. Nobody is over 2 yrs old either.

LER

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:02 pm

"I like the idea of an A, B & C list. A is virtually daily. B is rotated in or added frequently. C is occasionally. Thoughts?"

Sure would be helpful to me!

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:14 pm

Perhaps it needs to be more of a chinese menu...

"Every day, feed equal numbers of portions from columns A (higher ratio) and B (lower ratio). Feed as much from column C (balanced ratio) as you like."

And then it would be something like this:

A:
100g parsley
75g dandelion leaves
50g kale

B:
75g red bell pepper
75g green bell pepper
1 strawberry
1 baby carrot

C:
leaf lettuce
romaine

etc...

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:16 pm

Or, "Round off each cavy's cup of vegetables a day with items from list C".

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:57 pm

My piggies are picky though. They only nibble on the chard and won't eat kale or red bell peppers (some only eat green). They don't like small tomatoes either. now they refuse to eat Spinach. I only gave it like once or twice every 2 weeks for variety.

Becky

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:25 pm

My thinking runs along the lines of this:

Daily, I have a salad "base" of endive, escarole and loose leaf lettuce. Sometimes, I can't get endive or escarole, so I up the loose leaf lettuce.

Then I add parsley (usually every other day), one veggie and one fruit. On the non-parsley days, I add fruit or veggies with lots of vitamin C -- red peppers, kiwi. On parsley days, I add whatever fruit and veggie around. If too much calcium isn't a worry, then add parsley, kale, etc. daily.

This really is a simple approach. It's the base that will keep you within the right ratio. Play with the rest of the salad depending on individual tastes, freshness and what's available.

In the evening, it's the same base, but I add chard, cilantro and dill. No fruit or other veggies.

Becky

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:34 pm

It might look like this, if you wanted the ABC list approach.

AM Feeding:

BASE: endive, escarole and loose leaf comprising approximately 3/4 of the fresh foods.

A: parsley (or Kale) + one veggie + one fruit
* tomatoes
* carrots
* celery
* cucumber
* (fill in the blank)

* orange
* pear
* apple
* seasonal fruit

B: red peppers + one fruit from list A

C: kiwi + one veggie from list A

PM Feeding:

Base from above + dill + one of the following greens

chard, dandelion greens, cilantro

------------

The idea is to make sure every day includes a food high in Vit. C. Limit and vary the fruit and veggies.

liluqt

Post   » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:05 pm

Goodness.. the science to keeping guinea pigs. lol

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:56 am

ttt