barely eating x3 months, now impaction issues

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:42 pm

Look over this page that describes firmly pinning the head so it cannot be turned. It may be easier to get food and drugs in if a more gentle method does not work. One more relaxed method with more cooperative pets involves putting the guinea pig on a counter in the crook of your arm and offering food by syringe that way.
https://www.guinealynx.info/tips.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Also, just to clarify when I wrote, "**If it were me,** I'd be inclined to try bumping the Metacam a little and see how it goes," I meant bumping the amount of Metacam down---not up.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Valium (aka Diazepam) has been recommended in veterinary literature as an appetite stimulant.

Since probiotics generally do not have any negative side effects and may help, many people use them.
https://www.guinealynx.info/probiotics.html

platypus

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Gilbert is down to 1038 gms today. When he was eating on his own he hovered around 1200 gm

He is eating a bit better with thicker critical care, thanx Sef. I added pumpkin, it was someone's suggestion on this board.

Yesterday he started metoclopramide 0.5mg twice/day. Is also still on Cisapride 0.6cc twice/day

I handfed him hay (also another poster), he chews & chews but the hay doesn't go into his mouth unless i gently push on the ends. What does that mean?

We have an app't on Monday for anesthesia. Will look at his teeth, do 4 views of head xray, possible chest xray for heart, bloodwork (not sure what yet, I'm waiting for vet to call me for pre-op questions/instructions

Is there anything else you would want done while he's under anesthesia?

I can't find the probiotic Sef uses, Amazon delivery is July 2, would like to start it asap if possible. Any other brands for probiotics?

Also, any ideas for which brand of vitamin b-complex to get? I'm finding a lot have sugar in them, some have essential oils. Btw, the vet said she doesn't "believe" in vit. b. Sigh

We are having problems with the vets here, it's like they are too burned out to care like they used to. So having you all to help Gilbert & me is so valuable

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:30 pm

If you're pushing the hay back to his molars and he's not pulling it the rest of the way in, the problem is almost certainly that his molars are not hitting properly.

I use Bene-Bac as a probiotic. It's always worked for me.

I wouldn't automatically do bloodwork. It's very hard to get blood from a guinea pig, and it doesn't generally tell you a whole lot. Only if the x-rays of teeth and heart don't show anything would I consider letting them do bloodwork.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 pm

Bene-Bac is good...really, any plain acidophilus will do.

It does sound like it could be teeth-related.

platypus

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Looking back now, what i find interesting (disturbing?) is that the vet #2 who did the xrays did *not* suggest anesthesia oral exam which I didn't know about until the past month or so. She went right to "he needs a ct scan" which i mentioned before would cost $1k or so and requires a longer time under anesthesia

bpatters: I ok'd the bloodwork only because he'll be under anesthesia and that should (theoretically) make it easier to withdraw blood from him...we'll see i guess

Getting bene=bac this afternoon. Any vitamin b-complex brands? What do you think of this:

If you like this, how much should I give?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:47 pm

I wouldn't use anything like that (B vitamins for kids). Ideally, it needs to be something formulated for veterinary use. I haven't found what I used in the past; it was an injectable and I'm not sure it can be given orally. Likely something similar to this:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... B0D0204AE5

The range for B vitamins in guinea pigs is listed in exotics formulary as 0.02-0.2 mL/kg SC or IM (that is correct as written; mL and not mg).

I think since you are on for Monday, maybe see how it goes with the radiographs and have a discussion with your vet based on the results. If your vet doesn't support its use, I'm not sure I would go against that without talking to her first.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:53 pm

"Btw, the vet said she doesn't "believe" in vit. b." That seems pretty strange. I believe the subcutaneous fluids guinea pigs are frequently given to jump start recovery and help with dehydration include b vitamins.

platypus

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:51 pm

Gilbert wants to eat and nibbles on hay & greens, doesn't touch the pellets, the food doesn't go back to his molars apparently (seeing the vet on Mon. for anesthesia oral exam)

He's getting 1/2 critical care/1/2 ground alfalfa pellets w/pumpkin & water. It's thickish.

He's taken 80=100 cc/day the last 11 days. But he's losing weight every single day, 1030 gm. today (down 8 from yesterday, down 69 gms from a week ago)

Shouldn't that amount of handfeeding volume keep him from losing weight every day?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:04 pm

He needs at least 100 cc of Critical Care at his weight, and since he's losing, more would be better.

platypus

Post   » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Gilbert has a *huge lump* on his neck! It starts right under his lower front teeth and goes down most of his chest, it's bigger than a golf ball. I managed to get hold of a 4th vet (the one we have app't with on Monday is off on weekends). Dr. T said it's a root abscess, to put warm compresses on it. Did not want to start antibiotics at this time. I canceled Monday's app't and we see Dr. T on Monday instead. I'm beside myself with the stress of caring for Gilbert since March, and my dog is sick also. I'm so worried, Gilbert lost another 8 gms today

Is there any danger of this lump causing breathing issues, pressing on his windpipe?