ear scratching and wiggling

Brist1cm

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:18 pm

Bella, my 2.5-year-old guinea pig started itching her left ear for the past few hours and she also keeps wiggling/twitching it. I wiped her "problem" ear with a little bit of rubbing alcohol and then another dry cotton swab. Tiny gray/ brown flakes came off, not a lot, but that its the only residue. Her left ear is also slightly warmer. Her ears are dark-colored so I cannot tell if they are red. There is no grit of crust from what I can see.

She enjoys stuffing her face into her hay, could it be just irritation fro hay? Her cagemate has no symptoms so I don't think this is mites, but does this sound like mites? or an infection? Her symptoms have only been going on for 4-5 hours, so not long, but it is definitely not her usual behavior to constantly be itching one ear and wiggling it. I am the type to be proactive when things are wrong with my guinea pigs, I just want to make sure she is in 100% health at all times! Also, it is a holiday weekend so I will have to wait 36 hours or so till the vets are open.

Any tips? What I have seen online so far hasn't been too helpful, most just say mites or an ear infection but don't describe the symptoms well.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:47 pm

It's possibly fungus. You may want to read this:
http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Fortunately, this is not urgent enough to worry about the vet not being available over the holiday weekend. Just keep an eye on it and if it persists, you can make an appointment for her.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:34 am

Is it possible something got into her ear that is bothering her?

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:35 pm

Is there anything thick and waxy inside the ear itself?

Brist1cm

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:21 pm

Super late reply, as a graduate student, I get super busy and forget to reply to the posts. However I wanted to update anyone who read this in the future. She was fine by the next morning. I think maybe hay wiggled it's way in!

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:08 pm

Ah! Good to know. Thanks for the update; glad she's doing well.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:17 pm

Yes, thanks for the update. Glad to hear she is fine.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1