Medical Topic for Oswald

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:43 pm

Chewing usual things can be a sign of pain. Do you have Metacam on hand?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:43 pm

The "chewing on stuff a lot more" may be an indication of pain.

If it is 5mg/5ml, the concentration is 1mg/ml. So giving 0.5ml (aka cc) is giving 0.5mg of Metoclopramide. I don't think you mentioned his weight?

Dosage is:
Oral, SC,IM 0.2-1.0 mg/kg q12h

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:37 am

So after a couple days of coming home and not finding poops I fed him some CC and put him down to rest in the cage, I noticed he was eating something and it was poops he had just made, is this normal? I’ve heard of it but never seen him do it

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:38 am

Oh and his weight is 2.7

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:11 am

It's not uncommon, but I don't see that happen a lot. Usually they like them "fresh out of the oven," so to speak, but with his gut messed up his body may be needing the extra nutrients right now. Remind me, have you been giving him a probiotic as well?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:45 am

Are they the stinky, greenish cecal poops? Also, sometimes if a guinea pig cannot reach down there, they end up around the cage and hopefully eaten. If the guinea pig is getting a rich diet, more cecal feces can be produced resulting in more laying around.

And yes indeed, an ill pig will sometimes eat all the poops, no matter what kind. I think in an effort to heal themselves.

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:33 pm

I stopped the probiotic when I stopped the antibiotic, however after researching the poop eating I realized he could be still trying to get back the good bacteria the antibiotic killed so I gave him a dose of the probiotic last night.seems to have helped as I see poops in the cage this morning. I’ll mention all this to his vet today

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:37 pm

And no they weren’t stinky or green just smaller versions of his regular sized poop

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:27 pm

So we took X-rays and no stones were found she said he has some gas in there but he’s not bloated, she wants me to nurse him back to health for 5 days to make sure he’s pooping and along with the feedings to give him the metoclpranide and .15ml simethicone baby gas relief drops. And then to start the antibiotic treatment again after the 5 days but with a once a day dosage along with the metoclopranide to make sure he keeps eating and pooping

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Did they give you any Metacam?

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:32 pm

No just told me to get the gas relief driops since he started pooping more again and keep giving the metoclopranide

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:11 am

I'd just use caution with the simethicone drops. If it seems like it worsens her discomfort or increases her bloating, discontinue it.