Medical Topic for Oswald

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:57 pm

You can taper the dose down.

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:51 pm

Well it keeps happening and happening more frequently. We are on lockdown but thankfully my vet is still open but I have to wait in the parking lot, taking him in tomorrow. He had a very thin string like piece of poo hanging from him and I pulled it gently it was quite long.was a little yellowish at the tip. I cleaned him out after that and he pooped a huge couple logs right on me lol. Hopefully we can figure out more information soon

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:03 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. My senior with a similar gut problem has been having increased issues, too (more frequent; increasingly harder to resolve each time). I hope you can get some answers. I'll be very interested to hear what your vet finds.

piggypatrol

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 pm

How old is your piggy? For sure as soon as I find out more I will keep in touch

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:43 pm

He is 5-6, I'd say. We adopted him late last year.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:05 pm

The thin yellowish string, also sounds like it could be hardened semen. I take it this did not come from his penis? Does he have a male cage mate?

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:28 am

It came from his butt area, it was only the end of it than was like a yellowish brown but rest of it was definitely poo. He has no cage mate currently

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:59 pm

Well pretty much she said he looks fine from the last time and said perhaps he does t have enough B vitamins in his diet so she’s setting me up with some and an ant-acid. I’ll give the exact amounts once I get the meds in hand. She did say it might turn his urine pink but not to panic

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Famotidime 10mg .25 once a day for two weeks
And vitamin B12 1000ug/ml give .25 once weekly for one month

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:46 pm

I hope they help him.

piggypatrol

Post   » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:08 pm

Me too, fingers crossed

piggypatrol

Post   » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:13 pm

Well seems to be having another episode today, he’s eating some but poops are pretty small and not coming out as often. Cleaned his booty and no impact, he’s actually eager to eat the critical care so I’m not sure what’s bugging him. Vet said I’m doing all the right things so I’ll just keep him on the meds and see how things keep going. I did give him spinach the other night for the first time in month so maybe that upset his stomach

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:00 pm

I take it you are still weighing him regularly? I hope he can get over this episode soon.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:11 am

I feel your frustration. With our guy who has gut problems, the episodes are starting to look increasingly random. I'm not thrilled that I now have him on a slightly higher daily dose of Metoclopramide, but the lower dose wasn't cutting it for him.

Remind me...has your vet looked into Cisapride? I'm currently in the process of trying to source it to see if it might help.

piggypatrol

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:01 pm

Yea it’s happening way more often. We haven’t tried that medication yet. I was reading up on constipation and wondering if it’s his diet. He’s very picky with veggies so I usually only rotate between romaine, green leaf, cucumber baby carrots and green pepper and half the time he leaves behind green pepper. Used to have cilantro and spinach in there but he would leave cilantro behind half the time and spinach Is more of a occasional thing because it’s high in calcium I believe. Are baby carrots bad for them? Should I switch to regular carrots?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:20 pm

Romaine seems to be high in calcium too (though not by the numbers, people do report lots more calcium excretions when feeding it). If high calcium is not the issue for your guinea pig, don't worry then.

piggypatrol

Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:28 pm

She did say his calcium levels were a little high at one point but other than that he was fine. Woke up again to no poops but seen him eating hay and drinking water when I woke up to feed him this morning, so I don’t really know what else I can do. It seems like a cycle and I’m kinda dreading the day it gets worse

piggypatrol

Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:10 pm

Most things I read up on say it can be either inpaction or bloating. I cleaned out his anal sac and only found a small piece of poop but no blockage. Tried massaging his belly a bit and I did hear some noises like gas coming out. I watched a video on bloating and noticed he does do the puffed up hair thing in the corner of the cage sometimes. I’ll try some more tunmy rubs and I think I still have some simethicine baby gas drops from an earlier vet visit. My partner does tend to give him more of baby carrots and cucumber as those are his favorites but i saw someone say in a forum that cucumber can cause some gas so I’ll try adjusting his diet see if that helps as well

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:37 pm

Massage, when done properly, can go a long way towards helping with gassiness. Lynx has posted a link to a thread on how to do this, but I can't find it at the moment. Hopefully she'll come along shortly and add it.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:08 am

In the Records forum under digestion, Bugs Mom's technique for massage.
http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=117

I should add this to the emergency page where other links are.

204 posts