Sneezing piggy

Nbullinger

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Hello!

I hope this finds everyone well. I adopted a female GP on Tuesday; who is said to be 8 weeks old. Since bringing her home my husband and I noticed she is sneezing an awful lot.

Today she has not left her hut, and everytime we go near her she chatters her teeth. She is still sneezing and I have not seen, or heard, her drink today either.

I know new babies need time to adjust; and that could explain her unwillingness to leave her hut. However, her sneezing and lack of fluid intake is concerning me.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Vet ASAP. It sounds very much like she could have an upper respiratory infection. and this is serious in a small animal. You'll need a vet who is experienced with exotics, such as guinea pigs (not a regular cat/dog vet).

Nbullinger

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm

***Update *** I got her to drink some water and eat a little but we will be taking her to the vet as soon as my husband gets out of work.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:50 pm

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nbullinger

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Turns out she was allergic to her hay! Which is good for all of us because I am too. I've switched her to another hay and got her a friend to keep company. All seems to be well.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Good news!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:08 pm

Yes, indeed!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 am

I'd continue to keep a close eye on her. Although not unheard of, allergies in a guinea pig are not all that common. What you described earlier (lethargy, not drinking) didn't sound like allergies to me. However, if she's bright and energetic, drinking and eating, etc. and you're not seeing sneezing or any discharge, hopefully that was indeed the issue.